SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
That was my original request to test the engine first. Perhaps do the compression test and test the injectors. I agree that tt is far cheaper than haul out the boat. But the mechanic was so confident it was MaxProp problems.
Unless the mechanic is sufficiently "confident" that he'd be willing to reimburse the cost of a short haul if it turns out the Max-Prop is fine, I'd seek a second opinion...

He's getting paid for his time anyway, I'd have serious reservations about enlisting the services of any mechanic who wouldn't want to take a quick trip out into open water first, and observe first hand the symptoms you're described... Hell, even running the boat in gear at the dock, under load, should be able to closely replicate the problem, no? Has this guy even HEARD the engine run yet?

Someone's gotta ask, sooner or later... Doesn't the actual CAPTAIN on this $1+ million boat have any clue how to proceed with this sort of deal?

:)

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
Similarly, if Sailnet did not exist, do you think all of us will be at lost because we can't ask sailing questions. We don't have to be an expert in everything. We just need to be an expert in finding the "experts" whom we can learn from.
Well, that approach might work as long as you have an internet connection, I suppose... :)

For starters, you might consider adding these to the ship's library, in the event you might venture beyond wifi or cellphone range...

Or, should "the experts" on Sailnet actually choose to go sailing that day... :)

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
I am a grease monkey. I like to take engine apart and put it together just for the fun of it for the last 30 years.
Ahhh, my bad, I guess... However, your original question certainly does not read like one from someone who has been tearing into diesels for the past 3 decades... :)

As for this particular problem with this boat, this is not an emergency. I (We) knew of this problem before we leave the dock in Montego Bay. Besides, she is a sailboat. We encountered fuel problem twice during the leg from Montego Bay to FLL. But it was just an inconvenience rather than problems for us. Just two 10 min delays, fuel problem was resolved, we were back on tract.
Well, this is probably just me... But most of my delivery work has been running stinkpots, so I'm at least vaguely acquainted with diesel engines...

If I arrived in Lauderdale with a million dollar boat exhibiting the problems you described, the first thing I would do would be to have it looked at before proceeding any further. One could hardly choose a better place to do so, as the concentration of highly qualified diesel mechanics, marine services, and parts availability in that part of S Florida just might be unmatched anywhere else on the planet:)

Moreover, I can't imagine a single client I've ever had - after being informed that his 175 Hp diesel is "smoking heavily, burning oil, and has no power under load..." - would encourage me to proceed... "Nah, go for it, it's probably nuthin'... besides, it's a SAILBOAT, after all - not like you might actually NEED that engine in a pinch going out around Hatteras in the early spring, and what could possibly be the harm in running such a poorly performing Yanmar worth tens of thousands of dollars a few days longer...?"

But, like I said, that's probably just me... :)

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
what is it with these threads lately when everyone is trying to make the other look like an idiot?

if you have nothing nice to say or even try to help without acting like an encylcopedia just keep it to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are countless threads now where one post is upped by the next and he who can reference the most and best the last on each thread wins!

its like a damn high school speech contest wher one guy comes in with a box of books and references and literature to scram the next questions answers as quickly as possible having no interest at all in what the questions really are or are intended to be...

guys just help and be nice!
As I said, it's probably just me...

...who questions the wisdom of a delivery crew leaving Lauderdale with a high-end yacht, bound for Annapolis, with an engine smoking heaviy, burning oil, and having no power under load...

:)

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
Glad you noticed that. It is not the first time or this will be the last. The attack became so personal that I must have done something right to challenge his fragile egos.
So, it's considered "a personal attack" to question why such a poorly performing engine was not checked out before the conclusion of a trip of nearly 2,000 miles, especially when such a good opportunity to do so would have presented itself during a layover in Lauderdale?

Damn, talk about "challenging a fragile ego"... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.