SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,728 Posts
Reaction score
After catching a chunk of wood in my maxi (destroyed the hub)Blades OK but dead in the water. (no vibration) I put on my spare maxi (replaced mainly because of electrolysis ) Worked good to finish the charter season but then decided all on its own to change pitch to nearly nada. No vibration ,just no grip. Could a maxi change to too maximum pitch and just fan the water at great effort.?

· Registered
4,728 Posts
Reaction score
Maxi?? When my 3 blade maxi prop decided to change it's pitch it went to way under. so could still function sort of.Pretty apparent what was wrong so hauled to fix. I wonder how common this is.

· Registered
4,728 Posts
Reaction score
Well, it did. So I take it's not common. I also tore the lug off the internals of another Maxi prop (it ate a chunk of drift wood in the fog) Prop spun on the shaft but no bite. No vibration in either case. Over the years (reengined, re shafted, other peoples boats)I've done a few and very sure the parts appeared OK but the pitch changed on its own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.