SailNet Community banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I still think a leak-down test is the first thing to do.
Totally, with a long history of complains for a couple years, this is a logical approach regardless what the outcome of Prop inspection and adjustment.

Yeah, King has been contacted and got his reply back. Now we are waiting for MaxProp's response with the model number.

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
The Classic model Max-Props need to be partially disassembled to set the pitch. I've done it on the hard and its fairly straight forward. You just align a dimple on a gear to a letter on the case. The manufacturer of the boat should have a pitch requirement and PYI can decode the right settings to achieve it. They are extraordinarily helpful, so if there are any pitch, prop diameter or whatever questions, they've heard them all.

While it would seem difficult to me to do in the water, our own FastBottoms on SN says its done all the time and the manufacturer, PYI, inc., can recommend qualified divers in your area.

· Registered
41 Posts
Reaction score
Black smoke makes me think more of a air/fuel issue. To much fuel not enough air. Blue smoke is more oil. Being a turbo maybe a partially stuck waste gate. Does it sound like it spools up when it goes under load and increased RPM's. Do you hear a woosh or air escaping type sound when backing down on the RPM's signaling the waste gate is opening and excess pressure built up is being released between the turbo and intake of the motor.

How does it rev at idle with no load?

As stated to check all intake lines and boots. See if any clamps have been moved off their seat could have a intake leak or losing boost from the turbo to the intake. Can make a smoke mess when a turbo diesel looses boost or some of it. Especially loss of power under load.

The oil loss depends on how much loss and how the motor is ran. Many diesels I have ran burn more oil if idled more then having a load.

Thinking of the bearings on the turbo you should let the turbo spool down (let the motor idle for a minute or two) after a hard run or any time the motor is under a load and rpms greater then idle before shutting it down.

That's all before knowing the compression of each cylinder but I would not suspect the motor or compression with just black smoke.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The engine revs beautifully and she started right up and shut down instantly.

I did not notice any woosh or air escaping type sound. But I have to admit, I did not look for it. I will continue to push this issue and get her fixed.

I will share with the board of her progress. Thank you so much.

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmm old fuel? dirt clogged injectors...

could be many things...

does it do this when really hot and warmed up or all the time

will it start smoking after long periods or not

etc...

start with the simple things first..jjejeje

Reactions: chamonix

· Banned
2,710 Posts
Reaction score
We will have a diver to check this shortly. However, I dont know what model of MaxProp it has, since the Classic model can't be adjusted without pulling it out.
Any Max Prop (regardless of model) can have the pitch checked and/or adjusted underwater by a knowledgable diver. Contact PYI for a diver recommendation in your area.

http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?section=contact

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Reaction score
Any Max Prop (regardless of model) can have the pitch checked and/or adjusted underwater by a knowledgable diver. Contact PYI for a diver recommendation in your area.

-- PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D --
We had a casualty with our MaxProp about 10 years ago. Some idiot had placed a cinderblock with a polypropylene line about a boat length off our dock. We didn't see it, as it was not visible from the helm. Anyway, we drove over it and picked up the line, winching the cinderblock into the prop and stalling the motor.

When we got back to the dock, my son--an experienced SCUBA diver--dove on the prop and proceeded to clear the mess and then disassembled the MaxProp. That was before we called PYI for advice: all the blades had been symmetrically torn and dog-eared. Well, they said it was unfortunate that we took it apart underwater and didn't have a diver recommendation for our area. They did, however, mail us a manual that showed us what we were dealing with. We had lost the indices for prop pitch (both forward and reverse) when it was taken apart, but were able to get the settings from the owner of a sister ship and then transfer them to the prop using the information from the manual.

Long story short: My son was able to reassemble the prop with the proper pitch, using an hour and a half of air. Luckily, we were able to get the boat to a marina for haul out without requiring a tow. Due to the symmetry of the damage, there was no excess vibration at low speed. (We do have SeaTow, but were comfortable keeping them for backup in this case.)

The bottom line: PYI knows what they're talking about when they recommend someone knowledgeable for underwater MaxProp work. However, if you are stuck, you can work on the prop with SCUBA gear and a lot of patience, but this is not a job for a novice diver or someone who is not extremely careful with small parts--none of which float!

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
As I promised to keep the "good" folks on Sailnet informed about the fate of the diesel engine problem of the Chicken.

The lack of power and heavy smoke of the engine have been resolved. Bay Shore Motor has it right all along. Shawn told to me the first time we spoke after he looked into the engine, he said: haul the boat out and check the Prop before calling him.....hahaha. But no one believed him.

So the injectors were changed and compression test was done. All were perfect to the spec. At around July 4 week, I took her out, no power and could not reach rpm of 1500 under load. I finally got her hauled out, fix the prop. Put back in water, she can reach 3800 rpm under load. Did a test sail circumnavigate Delmarva, her ran beautifully.

Now the Chicken is on hard to replace the rudder bearings. It turns out the bearing were custom built from Denmark and take 2 months to make. They cost is from $3500 to 4000 a piece. Ouch, I think I would rather buy an ex-chartered Ned-a-teau, and be done. hahah.:p

So there you have it. It was another happy ending. Thank you Chicken, she always keeps me safe at sea and our economy going. :laugher

Next departure: South bound, Nov 2014 :)

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score
The lack of power and heavy smoke of the engine have been resolved. Bay Shore Motor has it right all along. Shawn told to me the first time we spoke after he looked into the engine, he said: haul the boat out and check the Prop before calling him.....hahaha. But no one believed him.
Good for Bay Shore. I was one of those who was wrong. My apologies for the misdirection.

What sort of prop and what was wrong with it.

· Registered
4,728 Posts
Reaction score
Well, it did. So I take it's not common. I also tore the lug off the internals of another Maxi prop (it ate a chunk of drift wood in the fog) Prop spun on the shaft but no bite. No vibration in either case. Over the years (reengined, re shafted, other peoples boats)I've done a few and very sure the parts appeared OK but the pitch changed on its own.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.