SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Eno stove on our boat hasn't worked since we got it. We have been getting by fine with a bbq lighter but I would like to get it fixed. Of course a new battery is the first step, but when I changed the battery I thought the cap looks odd. The spring inside the cap is conical shape, and it looks like the spring has uncoiled. It doesnt look like it will contact the battery very well.

I am trying to find an image of the part but had no luck so far. Can someone with a similar stove confirm my suspicion that this cap is not right?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I have an Eno stove.
Yes the cap looks like that.

Mine hasn't worked for years and I need to replace the housing as ifs fractured.
What idiot put it at the back of the stove? It's inacessable with my cupboards.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have an Eno stove.

Yes the cap looks like that.

Mine hasn't worked for years and I need to replace the housing as ifs fractured.

What idiot put it at the back of the stove? It's inacessable with my cupboards.
Really? The spring on yours is mishapen like that? Interesting.

Looks like I will have to remove the stove to troubleshoot further. I can JUST get my hand in to change the battery if I tilt the stove!

I know the bbq lighter is the simplest solution. I'm just the kinda guy that likes things to work as designed! (Or better!)

So, to be clear, the spring in your battery cap looks like this, with the small end on a pin inside the cap?

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
I haven't had mine in my hands for several years, but that looks pretty familiar. Mine stopped working, I fidgeted around behind the stove and got the old battery out. A new battery didn't help, so I gave up and never looked back.

The BBQ lighter will ignite the stove with just the piezo. It doesn't even need the butane full.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I'm telling you, the battery is supposed to fit INSIDE that spring. Negative terminal down. Now that you posted another picture, it is exactly like ours.

Mark

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turns out on the Eno the battery goes in positive end first. The spring flares to make the connection from the negative side of the battery to a metallic outer shell in the holder.

I traced the problem to a bad igniter button, which is pretty easy to get at. There are 2 screws behind the gas knobs that hold the plate on.

The factory switch is junk, so I went to an electronics store and picked up something nicer. The terminals are different on the new switch, but if you pinch down the connectors they seem to grip the terminals pretty well. If I have connection issues I will solder pigtails onto the switch terminals with the appropriate connectors, but for now it works fine.

The new switch is way overkill, but it was the only one I could find that fit the hole in the panel.

Total cost of repair: $13!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting, ours definitely goes in negative end toward spring. The picture is from the manual.

Mark
Yes that is how mine goes...positive end into the holder first, negative end at the cap. We are obviously describing the same things in different ways!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts