SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend a good enroute weather service for me.

Here's my deal. I am leaving on a 10-day passage between Bali and Western Australia in early August. I have a sat phone and would like to get daily weather updates and routing advice.

I've found one so far: Ocean-Pro.com. Does anyone know anything about this place?

It seems that this website is very Caribbean-focused but maybe some people here venture further afield.

Thanks!

Edo

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
People around here seem to like using Commander Weather. They may have an area bias too; I don't know. Sailing from Bermuda to New York last summer, we found good weather discussion via radio. Boats en route provided info on their situation & conditions at a set time each evening, and an amateur (retired professional?) volunteer provided insight and coordinated the communications. He was quite helpful in helping us avoid conditions that had three other boats call for helicopters that winched off injured crew. Ask around for a similar network in your area.
We had poor results from a rented satphone: broken, static-covered, garbled conversations, no connection, etc. Don't know if it was due to spotty coverage, equipment, or operator error ;). Use yours first to see how (if) it works.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You all have stated why you need a barometer, good cloud idenity and knowledge of local trends (or a pilot chart). This also includes reading the sea around you. Are the swells building or laying down? Usually you can identify three sets of swells, any more than that and we call it confused seas. Then you have the waves that are on top of the swells, they are usually local caused. Local in this case means within a couple of hundred miles.
A lot of common sense will help you prepare for a possible event happening a few hours later.
But I do admit that it is nice to have a weax report of your area... But then again if you don't have that report. Then follow the above.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have heard that there are weather route planners in NZ who are better for the western pacific. check the pacific puddlejump site.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
One other thing is that if you have a SSB and a Fax modem you can receive Weax fax broadcasted by the Navy. Just check your "Radio Aids to Navigation" pub 117 for the time of broadcast in your area.
Of course you will need to learn how to read a weax fax...But I prefer it over the printed NavTex.
A weax fax and local observation will give you an excellent insight to on coming weax.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The OP is probably in his destination port by now but for anyone sailing in Australasia and looking for a reasonably complete list of radio frequencies to get weather in a wide array of forms on HF radio (SSB), try here:

South West Pacific Radio Frequencies - Island Cruising Association

This is not mine, I just use it. Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts