SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EPIRB is soon due for a 5 year battery replacement, although the test sequence shows it fully operational. Has anyone done their own battery replacement? The batteries in these (Mcmurdo) are 6 standard lithiums, worth about 8-10 bucks each.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Replace them, note the date and why?

YOUR LIFE and family may depend on that unit working properly

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Yup replaced mine in an Acer. 1 hours work 1/20th of the cost and I was never without the unit.

OK I can not do the transmit in a faraday cage full test but it was OK on the self test.

The money I saved will more than pay for a PLB.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you plan to race offshore, the DIY job will not meet ISAF regs. I'll be selling my EPIRB for that reason.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup replaced mine in an Acer. 1 hours work 1/20th of the cost and I was never without the unit.

OK I can not do the transmit in a faraday cage full test but it was OK on the self test.

The money I saved will more than pay for a PLB.
I've seen the innards of these things and there's nothing at all complicated. It seems like a good idea to have spare batteries in any case to keep in the ditch bag right along with the unit. Too bad Mcmurdo won't just sell the battery packs. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for a spare in any case. As a safety issue, all EPIRBS probably ought to have easily replaceable batts.

JS, I don't do any racing in my old tub:)

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
RACE RACE Don't talk to me about RACE.

I don't race my home, Dizzy does not like it!

Now that is your problem, you need more rail meat! That cat won't do much!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
smurph-
I change my own batteries. I even pump my own gasoline. Sometimes into the car, sometimes into jerry cans. And you know what? That's ILLEGAL IN ILLINOIS AND NEW JERSEY. Or at least, it has been illegal recently. That's too dangerous for unlicensed civilians to do, you know.

Like changing batteries.

Hey, wanna do the "Three Legged Race With Scissors" at the county fair with me? (VBG)

js, what's the ISAF requiring now?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The EPIRb has a 5 year expiration date on a label. You can buy the batteries, but not the labels!

·
Administrator
7,551 Posts
The EPIRb has a 5 year expiration date on a label. You can buy the batteries, but not the labels!

Yes but you can ammend that and make a statement into a tg and sign it, date it, and, well, stamp it with the boat stamp :) It may do nothing with the racing freaks at some stupid yacht club but its cool for safety to have the captain sign it off imho.

Reactions: smurphny

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I didn't see any reference to EPIRB expiry or dating in the ISAF regs. In the equipment checklist, there is a line that simply says "STATUS" which for all we know could mean "Is it turned on and transmitting right now?" Very sloppy for the ISAF.

But, no requirement as to who or if batteries have been serviced.

As to not having a label...hehheh...What color would you like that? On paper, plastic, Scotchlite? Buy a P-Touch, put the new service date on it. Or take a Sharpie and just mark the body of the EPIRB with it. You want a stack of 20's with that? Or would you prefer 50's?

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
smurph-
I change my own batteries. I even pump my own gasoline. Sometimes into the car, sometimes into jerry cans. And you know what? That's ILLEGAL IN ILLINOIS AND NEW JERSEY. Or at least, it has been illegal recently. That's too dangerous for unlicensed civilians to do, you know.

Like changing batteries.

Hey, wanna do the "Three Legged Race With Scissors" at the county fair with me? (VBG)

js, what's the ISAF requiring now?
Don't you know NJ gas is very dangerous, much more so than NY gas. You need to have special certification and training in NJ (in addition to a green card). Not just anyone can do these dangerous tasks...geez. You never know, some people would likely decide to change their EPIRB batteries while pumping gas at the same time:)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Don't you know NJ gas is very dangerous, much more so than NY gas. You need to have special certification and training in NJ (in addition to a green card). Not just anyone can do these dangerous tasks...geez. You never know, some people would likely decide to change their EPIRB batteries while pumping gas at the same time:)
Gee--who knew? And to think that the measure was proposed, and adopted, in NJ as a means of keeping minimum wage workers employed when it was really a "safety measure" all along. (Green card not required.)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
FWIW we recently had the battery replaced, for the second time, in our ACR Global-Fix EPIRB at a cost of $285.00 including tax and shipping. The battery was replaced, and the unit tested, resealed and certified through 2017. Considering the importance of the device, I don't think that was too much of a burden, do you? Really?

Reactions: piclarke

·
Registered
557 Posts
I went through the same process/questions a bit over a year ago.

I was shocked by the cost of replacing batteries! AND, on top of that they would only do it ONCE on my EPIRB. So after the initial cost and 1 HIGH COST battery replacement I had a brick.

I regretted not purchasing one that was designed for self replacement batteries. They were for sale, but I didn't go that way.

I then looked into the PLBs. I could get a full new unit for less than the price of a battery!

I looked into my crystal ball and saw that we were not going to cross an ocean during the next couple of years and decided to deactivate (by form on-line) our unit.

This year we cruised the Gulf of Mexico coast (for almost 6 months) and were within sight of land and within VHF FM range, so went without.

Our next cruising plans may take us off shore (but not crossing an ocean) so, we will purchase 2 PLBs, one for each of us. They will attach to our PFDs and harnesses so will be better than a manual EPIRB on the boat which is NO HELP if one goes overboard.

Now days, with the SPOT and InReach and PLBs, the EPIRB may be a shrinking market.

I'm a big supporter of "the proper tool for the job" way of thinking. ;)

Greg

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gee--who knew? And to think that the measure was proposed, and adopted, in NJ as a means of keeping minimum wage workers employed when it was really a "safety measure" all along. (Green card not required.)
Didn't realize it was originally part of a NJ Big Bro. social engineering project.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FWIW we recently had the battery replaced, for the second time, in our ACR Global-Fix EPIRB at a cost of $285.00 including tax and shipping. The battery was replaced, and the unit tested, resealed and certified through 2017. Considering the importance of the device, I don't think that was too much of a burden, do you? Really?
Well, let's see. Six batteries at $8 (less wholesale). That's $48.00 in parts. Let's do the math. I prefer to avoid being the proverbial "ass for every seat" which I would certainly feel like shelling out 200+ bucks for someone to swap out batteries.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Well, let's see. Six batteries at $8 (less wholesale). That's $48.00 in parts. Let's do the math. I prefer to avoid being the proverbial "ass for every seat" which I would certainly feel like shelling out 200+ bucks for someone to swap out batteries.
We all have our priorities I guess. Different Ships, Different Long Splices, No?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
smurph, but no one is asking you to be a $200 ass. Bear in mind, that $200 service charge also includes a new o-ring or gasket seal (worth maybe fifty cents to a dollar retail?) plus an electrical test (and if it isn't a live test in a casket or a faraday room, that's worthless, but a live test could be worth $50?)...

So you're not just paying for batteries, you're getting a gasket and an hour of questionably skilled labor.

I'll be that makes it feel much better, like paying an auto dealership for a $99 oil change that "includes a 24-point checkup!" huh? (G)

ACR would have rejected my EPIRB because one of the internal mounting posts in the plastic casting was spalling out from the brass threaded insert in it. Why was it spalling out? Uh, because when they made it, they goofed?

A little epoxy made me happy enough. And a lighter hand torqueing the case shut. Oh, yeah, I also greased the gasket with silicone grease, since I have no idea where to get a new one to match.

As I explained to the nice man, "You don't understand. I would rather pack my own parachute, I don't know your man from Adam."

·
Administrator
7,551 Posts
. I would rather pack my own parachute, I don't know your man from Adam."

The first time I parachuted was with the Army. My parachute was packed by "D9".

While i was waiting on the ramp out the back of a Carabu aircraft I wondered if D9 packed on a Friday. After lunch....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts