SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deal where a guy bought way to much material and resin and is going to be selling it at half of retail cost. He used it to build a wooden boat

He has a couple 5 gal pails of System 3 G2

can the G2 only be used for bonding and coating wood or can it be used as a resin for fiberglass for tabbing and building laminates

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Yes, except when coating wood it can peel from the wood expanding/contracting. unless it's plywood Only thing you need to very aware o; epoxy doesn't not hold up to sunlight

·
19,484 Posts
From the literature it's only recommended for gluing/laminating wood pieces, beams, etc, not for laminating cloth. I suspect it's going to be rather too viscous for wetting out fabric and wouldn't work well for that kind of project..

Recommended Uses:
Marine - Ideal for stitch-and-glue, sheet plywood, strip planking and cold molding. Perfect for laminating stems, ribs and deck beams. Bonds marine woods to fiberglass, ferro cement and steel vessels.
Construction - Use for making strong structural joints and laminations. G-2 is found in laminated wood beams, doors, windows, millwork, furniture, cabinets, window frames, archery bows and wooden tools.
No mention of use with any sort of fabrics/cloth/ of any sort.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it tends to yellow in sunlight thats why i coat it. the only thing that is getting covered in epoxy that is wood is the interior tables and counter top, (butcher block) and the deck support beam

edit and interior trim

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the literature it's only recommended for gluing/laminating wood pieces, beams, etc, not for laminating cloth. I suspect it's going to be rather too viscous for wetting out fabric and wouldn't work well for that kind of project..

No mention of use with any sort of fabrics/cloth/ of any sort.
good to know

Im planning on building a stitch and glue dinghy so maybe ill take a gal off him

·
19,484 Posts
..... I wonder if i should call system three
Or at least talk to a distributor.. that would be best - and better than relying on internet forum 'experts' ;)...

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Tabbing with cloth is essentially the same as "stich and glue" G2 would most like work ok for that. It's not going to as be good for clear coating wood I've used System 3 on canoe builds as well as west system. you do want to tab the glass to rough surfaces. smooth gel coat will bond but not as good as rough.

Over the years I've grown away from the thinking that epoxy coated table tops are "better" Now I just use multiple coats of varnish or urethane and get very nice results.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,306 Posts
I think G2 is the old Burnaby based Industrial Formulators G2 - System 3 bought them out but continued their resin formulations like G2 and Cold Cure.

G2 was fairly viscous and wouldn't work all that well with fabric laminating. It's a great resin for other uses like laminating wood, thickening with various fillers etc.

It's been a few years but IIRC it had a good open time - like 40 minutes.

·
Barquito
3,887 Posts
It's been a few years but IIRC it had a good open time - like 40 minutes.
Wow. That's a long time. It would take me forever to get all the fillets right on my dinghy build. That would have been useful to have some that sets off fast, and some slooow. OTOH, Abuse, you probably won't need more than a gallon to do the fillets and glass on a small dinghy, depending on how thick the sheething is. So, maybe just get stuff that would be useful for both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.