SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm refitting an old Arpege 30 that has a number of soft or creaky spots in the deck and cockpit. I've heard that the boats have a foam core in their decks (not balsa) and have a history of delaminating due to manufacturing quirks. I've begun doing the drill-grid-of-holes/inject epoxy repair to fill in the soft spots, but I'm nervous given how often I've heard warnings against that technique. My assumption is that if this repair began to fail I could always rip out the deck/headliner and re-core it someday without delaying the launch of the boat another year. Is that reasonable?

Also, a couple larger cavities seem to have formed beneath the cockpit sole and starboard seat (can actually see/feel the non-skid sag under my feet. I would estimate each air bubble to be about a foot or so in diameter. If that's accurate, will there be a problem to have a larger quantity of epoxy underneath those sections? Seems to me that if I can just make the under layer rigid and durable I'll be fine, right?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
re-laminating an overhead surface is a pain in the tail, the cut the deck repair is easier - but tougher to make it look like it did before.

Your patching will buy you some time. They make some water/weather proof expanding foam that may work, but I am not familiar with it in the DIY arena that would be better for the "air pockets".

·
Registered
10 Posts
RANDOM POST, SORRY...
(just joined and need 10 posts to see the pictures in the thread concerning rigging jacklines...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have/had the same issues with my Dufour Arpege 30. I've replaced one cockpit seat and it was easy once I watched a dozen videos on youtube on fiberglass. I cannot find the photo of the finished product but I cut the skin top off and kept it in sound order. I scraped the foam. I coated marine plywood with epoxy to seal any future mess ups. I cut it to fit via 3 pieces. I laid the plywood and used thickened epoxy filler to bond it all. I faired it smooth with sandable expoxy filler and sanded it flush. bonded the skin and redid the nonskid using kiwigrip. Took 3hrs to do it and it was my first attempt at such a job. Now its the most solid part of the deck. I jump up and down and theres not spring or sag. I will do the other seat this winter. I've used injection in other parts with great success. Youtube kiwigrip. To get it look right, you will eventually have to do the whole deck.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts