SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a couple of gallons of epoxy for repair work on my boat. I've used West epoxy before, but the blush is kind of a pain. MAS makes so called no blush epoxies. There are a number of ebay vendors selling various brands of epoxy. I of course need to conserve boat bucks. Anybody happy with any particular vendors?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
for the boat, stick with name brand that you know..West can be expensive, but it is reliable and works. Some of the other "stuff" out there looks sorry on a car and has other problems than amine blush, let alone on a boat under primer, paint etc. This is one place I would spend money to get the best stuff for your application...

all the best

dave

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You're hallucinating... resorcinol might be better for WOOD, but not for fiberglass laminate.
Resorcinol Is Better Than Epoxy!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Or ff you're thinking about getting it from ebay go for a relatively known brand, and as always check the sellers feedback and look around some to see if you can get it cheaper than from elsewhere.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,835 Posts
I have used both WEST and MAS. Both offer good products and excellent customer support. (I have also used System 3 for projects and it is okay, but it is not my first choices.) I personally prefer MAS as do many of my friends who are professional boat builders, in my case mostly because of the reduced alergen and blush levels.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
The

The Progressive Epoxy Polymers stuff that XORT linked to is great and NO BLUSH! The guy is really, really knowledgeable and good to deal with. He's located in Northern NH and has excellent prices. I bought some garage floor epoxy from him but when my West System supply is gone I'll be ordering from him for marine needs too.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The Progressive Epoxy Polymers stuff that XORT linked to is great and NO BLUSH! The guy is really, really knowledgeable and good to deal with. He's located in Northern NH and has excellent prices. I bought some garage floor epoxy from him but when my West System supply is gone I'll be ordering from him for marine needs too.
Maine
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected he was a good source. I'm about to start my first project with his epoxy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
During my restoration/upgrade/modernization sailboat project I've used polymercompositesinc.com MAxBond epoxy system. 3 different viscosities. I have used West when I started because that was the popular marine product discussed among groups. However, adding thickeners and various speed activators was a PITA. The cure times I could never get consistant. I found this MaxBond stuff on ebay. and after reading the website and watching the video demos, i thought I'd try it. Well after using all 3 of their viscosities I can say I like them all. Wetout, flow, cure rates, pot life, are very consitant and very predictable. I did test construction samples first to do destructive testing and was very satisfyied with the results. so, then I cut off my outer fiberglass deck layer to re-core the rotten wood. I used the thin epoxy to wetout the new balsa core with added 5 % acetone to thin the epoxy for more for complete penetration of the balsa core. Used the medium epoxy to wetout the patching fiberglass strips to bond the prepared old glass deck to the existing glass deck flange. then used the thick epoxy with chopped fiberglass to fair out the deck in preparation of the new teak deck, which was also epoxied in place. I used Maritime epoxy for the teak. I also fabricated a pair of secondary winch mount towers for the cockpit using Polymer product MaxBond system. Solid as a rock! Go to the website click on the ebay stores link and read the complete web page on MaxBond adhesives. I also used the epoxy pigment and the clear epoxy for a wood project.

·
560 Posts
Can someone define the word "slightly" for me? What if I put it in a sentence?

A slightly more weather resistant marine epoxy
This is the difference between basic no-blush and premium no-blush.

Would "slightly" be worth an extra $100?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts