SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
During my restoration/upgrade/modernization sailboat project I've used polymercompositesinc.com MAxBond epoxy system. 3 different viscosities. I have used West when I started because that was the popular marine product discussed among groups. However, adding thickeners and various speed activators was a PITA. The cure times I could never get consistant. I found this MaxBond stuff on ebay. and after reading the website and watching the video demos, i thought I'd try it. Well after using all 3 of their viscosities I can say I like them all. Wetout, flow, cure rates, pot life, are very consitant and very predictable. I did test construction samples first to do destructive testing and was very satisfyied with the results. so, then I cut off my outer fiberglass deck layer to re-core the rotten wood. I used the thin epoxy to wetout the new balsa core with added 5 % acetone to thin the epoxy for more for complete penetration of the balsa core. Used the medium epoxy to wetout the patching fiberglass strips to bond the prepared old glass deck to the existing glass deck flange. then used the thick epoxy with chopped fiberglass to fair out the deck in preparation of the new teak deck, which was also epoxied in place. I used Maritime epoxy for the teak. I also fabricated a pair of secondary winch mount towers for the cockpit using Polymer product MaxBond system. Solid as a rock! Go to the website click on the ebay stores link and read the complete web page on MaxBond adhesives. I also used the epoxy pigment and the clear epoxy for a wood project.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.