SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking into installing some things to increase my storage such as hanging netting, and maybe some hooks etc. I really don't like the idea of drilling through the cabin roof or walls. These wouldn't need to be super heavy duty but I obviously don't want them to come off easily either. My question is, how effective would epoxying mounts etc directly to the surface be? Anyone have any experience with doing this? Thanks

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
I am interested in the responses. But I think it depends on what kind of boat you have. If it is balsa cored you want to be careful about drilling into the walls. If solid cored, I think drilling and mounting into the walls would safe. If you wanted to mount into a cored boat. My concern is adding an epoxied item to the interior surface would it very hard if not impossible to remove or cover up later.

·
Administrator
9,063 Posts
It is not a good idea screw into the core of a cored hull. But it's a worse idea to screw into a non-cored hull because a screw is more likely to go through the considerably thinner thickness of a non-cored hull.

In either case, it would make sense to glass in a wood clear with epoxy and cloth should give you a solid mounting point. It is not actually a matter of gluing to the underside of the deck, hull or bulkheads.

One word of caution is that if you glass in a support with enough strength to support much weight it will be very hard to remove if you ever change your mind about having the mounting point.
Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my deck is cored. I've seen videos of people just drilling holes and screwing stuff in but that scares me. Regardless, I think I'll look into the wood backing method like you mentioned. As of right now I have 0 experience working with fiberglass. It seems manageable though. Probably a good thing to know for to do for a boat owner. So, do you think epoxying directly would not work at all then? It seems like if that is whats holding the wood in place then it could hold the mounts themselves? Or is the fiberglass the integral component? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
VHB tape is amazing if you follow 3M's datasheets. Heavier weights need more surface area for the mount support.

Not a reversible option either, but at least not drilling / cutting into the boat's structures.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good idea. I think that is basically the product I was looking for. I wasn't sure what kind of holding strength it would have. After reading up on them a little bit it seems like they would work well for what I need. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
For stuff like that, I use Locktite PL polyurethane adhesive from the hardware store: Loctite PL Premium 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive-1390595 - The Home Depot

I also like to use pieces of PVC board instead of wood. This combination is now my go-to for mounting pretty much everything - cheap, fast, and simple. As for strength, I've got a 25lb watermaker pressure vessel assembly hanging vertically on the side of the hull by nothing but two 10"x1" strips of PVC board glued to the hull with the adhesive.

Lots of mounting pads, mounting cleats, etc done this way on the boat and everything holds fine.

Mark

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I've not tried pvc board other than for blocking/spacing
I would think a dab of something added to the scew hole would help fill the cells..add strength

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thought...
U, L channel and square tubing in alum might be easy...and allow backing washer, nut
And could be tapped with enuff thickness

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
For stuff like that, I use Locktite PL polyurethane adhesive from the hardware store: Loctite PL Premium 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive-1390595 - The Home Depot

I also like to use pieces of PVC board instead of wood. This combination is now my go-to for mounting pretty much everything - cheap, fast, and simple. As for strength, I've got a 25lb watermaker pressure vessel assembly hanging vertically on the side of the hull by nothing but two 10"x1" strips of PVC board glued to the hull with the adhesive.

Lots of mounting pads, mounting cleats, etc done this way on the boat and everything holds fine.

Mark
Can you get PVC boards at Home Depot?

Is there a different glue that might be removable? Construction adhesive is like cement when hardened, you'd likely have to grind it off if you changed your mind. Have you tried to VHB the PVC into place?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Yes, I got the pvc board I'm currently cutting up and using at HD. I've never tried VHB for this, even though I have a lot of it on board and use it for many other things. Yes, the adhesive is strong and should be considered permanent. I have removed a piece glued on and it wasn't too bad. A sharp chisel with a hammer cut the bond, then the chisel by hand was able to scrape most of the adhesive off. If put on a porous or uneven surface, that would take some detail work to clean out.

Mark

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I've not tried pvc board other than for blocking/spacing
I would think a dab of something added to the scew hole would help fill the cells..add strength
Maybe there are different types of PVC board? The stuff I have takes a screw well and holds it fine. The "cells" in it are microscopic, and the board looks and acts like lumber or starboard, just much lighter.

If screws are an issue, one could always use carriage bolts or similar from the back before glueing on. Or blind nuts or the like.

Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those SNADs look useful. They seem like the fabric snaps I have on my dodger etc. Not sure they're quite the application I'm looking for. I wouldn't mind having some on board though.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Snads are a good solution for some things - we recently used a couple for a project. They are just VHB tape on a pad. Since they are snaps, anything connected to them will have to use a snap for doing so. An alternate would just be VHB tape on a appropriate mount for the project.

Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snads are a good solution for some things - we recently used a couple for a project. They are just VHB tape on a pad. Since they are snaps, anything connected to them will have to use a snap for doing so. An alternate would just be VHB tape on a appropriate mount for the project.

Mark
I'm leaning towards the tape on the back of a mount. Seems really simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts