SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm interested in hearing from folks that have either the ePropulsion or the Torqeedo outboards.

I have a 3000 pound keelboat.

How is the performance, reliability etc?

What kind of maintenance is required with these electric motors? Is is easy to find someone to repair them?

Thanks

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Hi Matthew,

We have a 1003 CS Torqeedo with larger battery of 915 Wh that we use for our 10' inflatable dinghy. For us it has worked well, overall. Performance is probably on par with a 3 HP or so. It has been a nice addition for us.

Regarding maintenance - have to spray a little bit of WD-40 in the connectors every month or so, otherwise an error message can come up which makes it inoperable. We have a dinghy kit we keep on the dinghy itself with an extra propeller (one broke in the past year and a half, a line got caught in it), sheer pins, WD-40, and some wrenches.

The GPS is pretty cool as it updates potential distance one can travel in real time.

In addition to replacing the propeller ($100 USD), we also replaced one of the rods as it was getting a little corroded and hard to move.

When we don't think we'll be using the Torqeedo for a week or longer, we stow it in a lazarette, etc to keep it out of the salt. It is somewhat sensitive and needs a fresh rinse regularly.

We don't have any gasoline on board, so that is a major bonus for us. Plus we can charge it with our solar, and easily stop and start when were talking with fellow boaters on their boats.

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Could be wrong but I think the OP is looking at these options for powering his real boat...not dinghy
That's correct. Many use the Travel 1003 series to power smaller sail boats for short distances. Just need the longer shaft version. In addition to this, there are other models and some of these larger versions share some similar characteristics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts