SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a significant portion of the Erie Canal missing from the electronic chart data base used by such familiar programs as OPENCPN, SmartChartAIS SEAiq and others I've tried.

All seem to draw their data from 14786 and it, in turn, is either the source or draws its data from Cruising the New York Canal System. The Corps of Engineers is the survey authority - and seems to have produced all the necessary data.

For some reason, the middle few "pages" of 14786 are "missing" from the electronic sources, including the NOAA charts I hand downloaded.

What do you use to navigate the canal? There must be a source, since the portion missing in the navigation is covered with Active Captain comments and can be seen on the above programs at a much less detailed scale.

Thanks much. /Stu

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
There is a significant portion of the Erie Canal missing from the electronic chart data base used by such familiar programs as OPENCPN, SmartChartAIS SEAiq and others I've tried.

All seem to draw their data from 14786 and it, in turn, is either the source or draws its data from Cruising the New York Canal System. The Corps of Engineers is the survey authority - and seems to have produced all the necessary data.

For some reason, the middle few "pages" of 14786 are "missing" from the electronic sources, including the NOAA charts I hand downloaded.

What do you use to navigate the canal? There must be a source, since the portion missing in the navigation is covered with Active Captain comments and can be seen on the above programs at a much less detailed scale.

Thanks much. /Stu
When I took my boat up to Canada back in 2002 I used a chart book for the Canal. Paper always works! :)

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Are they the NOAA ENC charts? If so, I think that they still may be missing some of them. They seem to be still adding charts as they complete the ENC vector charts. I thought they were done by now. Maybe try the Raster versions instead.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, I'm not sure that I've screenshotted the correct location but it looks like that whole area is very well charted. You can see the data that is available on the Navionics charts (chips and app) here: Navionics Webapp
Zoom in and toggle SonarCharts on and off by clicking the wifi-looking button in the bottom left.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Well, I'm not sure that I've screenshotted the correct location but it looks like that whole area is very well charted. You can see the data that is available on the Navionics charts (chips and app) here: Navionics Webapp
Zoom in and toggle SonarCharts on and off by clicking the wifi-looking button in the bottom left.

Hmmm, doesn't look much like the Erie Canal, to me...

However, the Detroit River DOES flow into LAKE Erie, I'll give you that...

:)

When I took my boat up to Canada back in 2002 I used a chart book for the Canal. Paper always works! :)
Hell, for most of the Barge Canal, a paper ROAD MAP works pretty well...

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Did the Erie Canal from Troy to Oswego last week. We have Navionics gold charts on the plotter and Navionics charts on the iPad. The latter were much more accurate than the former for some reason. About the only place you need a chart is Lake Oneida. The rest is pretty obvious and there are many, many navigational marks. Also the marks are moved around quite a bit so any given chart (paper or electronic) is likely to be somewhat inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have been on the canal quite a few times since I live nearby. Though I have several chartplotters, both handheld and installed on the boat, they are pointless in the Canal. Stay in the middle of the marked channel!

Much better is NY's cruising guide for the canal. It has good charts and lots of info about where to get fuel, food, etc.

Cruising Guide to the New York State Canal System - 3rd Ed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can check out the Navinoics web app for the coverage and detail their charts have: Navionics Webapp

I took a screen shot of just a small portion of the canal (not sure what area in particular was missing from your charts) and it looks like it has the bridge clearance details and channel markers to show the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I just ran the canal last week, this plotter was loaded with Navionics, if memory serves...

Hopefully, you'll manage to find your way without relying too heavily on your chartplotter...

I second the recommendation on the NYS Cruising Guide... It's not a substitute for charts, but it is an excellent resource, particularly if heading west of Lyons, it contains the only 'charts' I've ever seen for the western portion of the canal...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late reply, but I was trying to find the same answer as OP.

If you're using OpenCPN, you can load the NYS Canal Guide through the chart loader. Just select RNC (by State) >> NY >> "SMALL-CRAFT BOOK CHART New York State Canal System...". It will fill the gaps between the available ENC charts. While they may not be the greatest for navigation, they can help with overall trip planning and keeping you generally aware of your location.

·
Dirt Free
2,824 Posts
Cruising The NY State Canal System...... My absolute favourite cruising ground but on many sections of the canal your plotter (any brand) will show you crossing land. Unless you get into Lake Oneida or down into the finger lakes a plotter is superfluous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts