SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an Escape Rumba with a split centerboard. Not having much luck finding a replacement. Sources? Can I epoxy it together for a temporary fix? If I make a replacement, what are acceptable woods (e.g. cedar)? Do centerboards for other boats fit the Rumba (e.g. Widgeon has a pivoting blade)?

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
We had an Escape Rumba at one point with the same problem. In our case I dismounted the board, carefully epoxied the surfaces of the crack/split then pulled the split closed with loops of line (at several points along the length of the board), tightened with dowels twisted through the loops in the manner of a Spanish Windlass. Once the epoxy cured, I drilled three horizontal holes at the mid-level and quarter points of the board through the forward/leading edge with a 1/4" overlong drill bit such that the holes penetrated both sides of the split. I then screwed threaded stainless steel rod, coated with epoxy, into the holes to act as "drift pins". Once that epoxy had "kicked off" I used a Dremel Tool to cut and round off the portion of the rods extending from the leading edge and make them fair with the board. (I made a similar repair to the rudder) That was about 10-12 years ago and we have long since parted with the boat. It remains in our neighborhood however and still seems to be going strong albeit the hull is a bit worse for wear for being run up on the beaches here abouts.

FWIW...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts