SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone with experience with the d4 is it worth looking at a used one for my 42 footer o/o wants 400 locally just needs fuel pickup and transom flange will this unit do the job or should I look at a larger unit

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Depends, but probably OK.

WE have a D4 in a 44' center cockpit. We lived on the boat all last winter in Delaware. One week on one week off.

When there by myself I close off the aft cockpit, v berth, and another small cabin. It heats the saloon pretty good.

The Wife likes to keep the aft cabin door open, then we use a sleeping bag and don't argue.

On the very coldest night I ran a supplemental kero bulkhead heater in the aft cabin, that was plenty.

Steel boat, pretty good insulation. Hatches would get a good rim of ice.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
The D4 is probably marginal for a 42 footer. That said, it is better for a diesel heater to be too small rather than too large. They don't respond well to running at low output. The PNW also doesn't stay all that cold for all that long either. If it is really $400US I would grab it and accept the limitations.

When you get a fuel pickup it makes sense to cut it short so that the bottom of the pickup is an inch or so above the main engine pickup so you can always get the engine running and to a fuel dock. *grin*

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks Dave just got email from the guy he's on the other side of the bay from me and has two units for 400 each and dad wants to run it on a separate day tank I think the 75 gallon main tank is more than adequate but it is his boat. And the Spencer really only has about 28 feet of cabin forward of the engine room. Just didn't want to spend on something that wouldn't do the job again thanks

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Pull the case off and see what the combustion chamber looks like. If you can swing a Facetime or Skype video connection I can "look over your shoulder." It may appear intimidating but taking those things apart isn't hard. Rebuilding one is fussy. Parts are expensive(ish).

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have a fancy phone and I did HVAC for a number of years on land just worked that the unit wouldn't be big enough no direct experience with them thanks for the offer and advice the seller has two to choose from

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.