SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a live aboard friend who just uses spit and bubble gum (basically old electrical tape covering twisted ends of wire for series connections) to rig lights inside his 100 year old wood boat. I'm his neighbor live aboard and this freaks me out to no end because I see us both going to the great cruising grounds in the sky if he has a future propane leak when I think about it.

What have you seen that makes you shake your head in disgust? Maybe if I get enough quality stories and opinions, he'll see the light and read a book about electricity in boats.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Buy him Charlie Wing's book. It'd be cheaper for you than having YOUR boat catch fire from his stupidity. Scribd used to have it online, but they took it down.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Buy him Charlie Wing's book. It'd be cheaper for you than having YOUR boat catch fire from his stupidity. Scribd used to have it online, but they took it down.
Do you really think it is a lack of knowledge? The description of his boat sounds like what a lot of live aboards look like.
"Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" by Charlie Wing certainly could give him the knowledge to properly wire up his boat, but it does take time and effort to understand everything electrical - in other words, a little effort.
John

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's not above some effort or advice. Just a little lazy about it which is not a good approach to electricity.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeez, Thanks a lot Maine! That's in the category of required reading for how bad it can get because of complacency and cutting corners.

·
Registered
23,453 Posts
Drop this link on your neighbor. What they are doing is the number one cause of boat fires, by far. If you look at the data, electricity exceeds all other causes. Clink inside the overall electricity link and you'll see DC wiring is the number one cause of electrical fires, again more than any other by multiples.

Why Boats Catch Fire - Seaworthy - BoatUS

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Do you really think it is a lack of knowledge? The description of his boat sounds like what a lot of live aboards look like.
"Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" by Charlie Wing certainly could give him the knowledge to properly wire up his boat, but it does take time and effort to understand everything electrical - in other words, a little effort.
John
thanks! it's available for free as a pdf. just google the title and scroll down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts