SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lifetime small boat sailor. Purchasing Bristol 30 for island hopping. Anyone care to help me avoid a few gaffs?

From reading hear (pun intended), I know quite is golden. Any social customs I might not be aware of?

All opinions/input welcome. What are your pet peeves?

Doc
Semi-retired

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
born yesterday

But I stayed up all night. Won't be springing for slip fee's. Nice try.....

I plan on using honda 2000. Will try to be considerate. Sry in advance. Just to recharge bank.

Doc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Born yesterday

Will bring dishes and wash up for dinner. Can I bring my dog? She cleans my dirty dishes ;-)

Keep rigging quite....check
(need to # just 1 peeve?.....lol)

·
Quirky
598 Posts
It's pretty easy. Just be nice and willing to lend a hand.

·
Large Member
299 Posts
When invited over to another boat for dinner or cocktails, bring your own dinnerware/ glassware - and then take your own dirty dishes back with you to clean.
Really? I wouldn't think to bring these over to a boat I was invited on (maybe if I showed up unannounced). If someone showed up on my boat carrying these, I'd be embarrassed. (am I not clean enough for them?) Sure a bottle of wine, beer they drink, ice, appy, MAYBE, but I wouldn't expect it.

Am I CRAZY here?

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Really? I wouldn't think to bring these over to a boat I was invited on (maybe if I showed up unannounced). If someone showed up on my boat carrying these, I'd be embarrassed. (am I not clean enough for them?) Sure a bottle of wine, beer they drink, ice, appy, MAYBE, but I wouldn't expect it.

Am I CRAZY here?
Maybe it's a regional thing.

I wouldn't expect anyone we invited on our boat to bring their own dishes and glassware any more than I'd expect if if you came to our house - invited or not. If we have so many people on board that there isn't enough silverware to go around, the boat's overloaded.

Now, for club raft-ups, which might be up to 30 boats, where everyone contributes an appetizer, I will carry my own wine glass to the party raft and along with my food, contribute a bottle to the community pot.

·
QuestToSail
24 Posts
I understood the original post to be from a cruisers' perspective - island hoping. Cruisers have limited water and from what I've read, it is common courtesy to bring your own dishes when invited over to another boat. Perhaps I'm misinformed ...

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
I understood the original post to be from a cruisers' perspective - island hoping. Cruisers have limited water and from what I've read, it is common courtesy to bring your own dishes when invited over to another boat. Perhaps I'm misinformed ...
I see your point. After giving it some thought, I don't know that I would expect it there either. I would think Joy (suds up in salt water) and sea water would be fine to clean dishes so that fresh water is not depleted.

I could be off base, however. I'll find out when we go to the islands in April I guess.

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
The other issue with dishes and glassware is that if you are living on yourboat year round you don't exactly have room for dinner service for 12.
I can understand that being an issue more than the water.

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Good point on the cruising, I think you're right in the OP's perspective. I have no Idea when it comes to "cruising" I just sail to the local Islands.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,949 Posts
Clanging halyards are fine, so long as they aren't on my boat! Sounds like expensive cordage losing life!

Fenders down under way... Ugh. I hate it when I do it, is it just me?

Wake in a no wake zone, from anything. I make an exception when it is a 3 foot wake kicked up by a sailboat exceeding hull speed surfing by, now that is just showing off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see the logic of bringing my own dishes. I would think the host less offended then if they were short. I plan to follow this advice.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
The other issue with dishes and glassware is that if you are living on yourboat year round you don't exactly have room for dinner service for 12.
In my experience one brings a contribution - appetizer and/or wine or beer - but not dinnerware unless specifically asked. For quite big gatherings sometimes folks run out of plates, but most of us certainly can do six or eight.

Dinghy raft-ups you are on your own.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Leaving a sharp gaff out where someone could trip on it could be a painful gaffe.

Boarding without permission of course (outside of a genuine emergency) is a big no-no.

Boarding with mark-leaving street shoes.

Some of the more egregious boo-boos with flags.

Plugging your hosts' head.

Telling law enforcement/Coast Guard/customs agents/naval patrols just what they can do with their boarding party.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts