86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes.. good point!
I hadn't realized that.

Tough all around I guess.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
People helping other people to get high, and then running off and leaving them to die when they overdose, is much more common than would ever believe. I've lost count of how many times we encountered that. The drug user world can be a really hard one at times, and full of some really hard people.

Reactions: irmedic

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
According to the article;
  • she injected him with heroin
  • she finished her glass of wine and then stepped over him as she left the vessel
  • she did not call for help, or assist him
Can someone explain to me why she is not being tried for murder?:confused:

If I give you a gun, and you shoot me, that is murder. It does not matter if I consent to your shooting me or not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw the article this morning - I am still struggling with the last paragraph in the USA Today article...

A family obituary published in the Santa Cruz Sentinel in January remembered Hayes as someone who "enjoyed spending time with his family at home and on his boat."

Really?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
Quoting the ABC News discussion;
David Baxter • a day ago
they said more than anything he enjoyed spending time with his family and on his boat,, But they left out the part that he also enjoyed drugs and prostitutes.

Solanum => David Baxter • a day ago
... on his boat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She should definitely be charged with something.

I initially thought he was just a wealthy bachelor who threw it all away on crank and high mileage a*s. Why take a hooker to your boat anyhow... at least if you're making Google type money. Spring for a motel room so anything untoward isn't linked to you or your vessel or happening in full view and earshot of those you're tied up next to.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
It is a complete mystery to me why anyone in his/her right mind would screw around with drugs like crack, coke, or heroin. I tend to feel angry at such blatant stupidity and, at the same time, sorry that these folks are so screwed up as to go down that road.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I seem to recall theguardian as being one of the great British bastions of yellow journalism, on a par with any Nooze organization here in the US.

Don't waste your time trying to figure out anything they say. She was charged with manslaughter, not murder. The difference being that murder is an intentional act and so far, apparently all the know is that she failed to aid him. That's not at all the same as tried to kill him.

The question of whether she's done this before, and whether there was intent, is obviously under police investigation. Although any real journalist would have explained that up top instead of at the end of the piece.

If you wrapped day old fish in certain newspapers, the fish would jump out and run away.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I believe that is a solid manslaughter case. There was clearly no malicious intent (that we know of, did she rob him?), but there is culpability. I think that generally, drug etiquette requires one to fend for themselves, hence the desertion. Lesson to be learned- if you OD on heroin given to you by a hooker, lock the doors.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"There was clearly no malicious intent "
Like many "employees" she might have had a grudge for her employer. A simple hatred for the johns she was servicing, for whatever reason, and she could have easily said to herself He wants a ride? OK, I'll give him a *ing ride" and given him a hot shot on purpose.

The same way that there have been convictions for prostitutes who knew they had AIDS and intentionally had unprotected sex in order to "give it back" to the johns that gave it to them. [sic]

All of which is why the matter is under investigation.

There's a long history of sailors and whores and drugs and booze and back alleys all over the world. Sometimes the sailors wake up on strange ships with new tattoos. Sometimes, they don't. No nooze there.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It is a complete mystery to me why anyone in his/her right mind would screw around with drugs like crack, coke, or heroin. I tend to feel angry at such blatant stupidity and, at the same time, sorry that these folks are so screwed up as to go down that road.
I spent 30 something years trying to figure out why people did the crazy things I saw them do in my job until in a moment of clarity, the answer was revealed to me.

They're crazy.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
21,815 Posts
Can someone explain to me why she is not being tried for murder?:confused:......
In a culture that is becoming more and more accepting of drug use, law enforcement and the courts just don't have the time to waste. They can't find 12 people to agree. It's sad.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It would seem to be a combination of drugs being enjoyable, funds available for procurement, and an addictive personality. I feel this can been seen with smokers as well. When it is 20 below zero and the group of smokers are standing outside on break smoking, are they doing it because they just like smoking, or are they doing it because they "have" to?

·
2,445 Posts
When my wife and I saw this story we both said the same thing: if you're going to screw around and do stupid things a marina is NOT the place to do it.

In every marina we've been in everybody pretty much knows what everybody else is doing. Every weekend the coconut telegraph goes into overdrive -- especially if you're doing it in the "big boat" at the end of the dock. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts