·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used this gelkote product;

Premium Gel-Kote White Pint from Wholesale Marine

and the coloring agent:

Coloring Agent for Polyester and Epoxy from Wholesale Marine

I put the stuff on over cracks in the existing gel coat and matched it to the white color using the pigment, following the instructions. It looked great, matching the old gelcoat, except that it was a little shinier than the existing gel coat. By the end of the season the white has faded to greyish tone and looks horrible. I am thinking now that I will have to repaint the hull and the deck. Anyone else have experience with this gelkote product or suggestions for future gel coat cracks? Just hoping I can prevent others from having the same issue.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well your product isn't all that. :p

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Actually WS screwed up...he'd have to be a lawyer for EVERCOAT, which is the company... Gelkote is the product.. ;)

Saurav-

Why not ask Catalina for some gelcoat. It won't be a perfect match, but it'd probably be a lot closer. :) I needed some gelcoat for some modifications I made on my boat, and got a qt. of it from the boat builder. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah pictures are better than words. I will have to go get some from the boat...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gelcoat

Just curious as to the process you used in preping for gelcoat application. I am assuming these were basic hairline type cracks. I am going to have to fill some cracks I figure I can learn from what you did. C27 tall rig also.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey just hair line cracks, I used the don casey book explanation on how to fill the cracks. I dug the crack out a little with the old stile v shape can openers like the ones on the right
http://images.asia.ru/img/alibaba/photo/51711946/Bottle_Can_Opener.jpg

Then cleaned it out the solvent he specified, mixed up the gelkote mixture with the pigment to match the color. I used a rubber applicator like a squeegy that you use for fiber glass to smooth it out. You can see a patch of it on the top left looks like a scare below the boot strip towards the bow. I wouldn't use the evercoat stuff though.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You didn't fill them before trying to gelcoat them???

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No i don't believe so, I don't think casey says to fill it with anythign but gel coat, they were very shallow.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Grey usually fades to white, not vice-versa. I'm wondering, did you use a release agent or covering to ensure a full cure? Or perhaps, the new gelcoat has simply trapped dirt and become "greyer" that way? Would a light hit with 600-800 grit wet sandpaper reveal it still white beneath the grey?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could be dirt, but if i wet sand it with that 600-800 grit sand paper woudl it remove the gel coat as well? Also does gelkote usually attract dirt?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts