SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a late 1970s evinrude 9.9 which runs fine at idle speed. It seems to die out as I accelerate. After cleaning the carb float and bowl it runs fine at faster speeds only when the choke is closed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently went through the exact scenario with an evinrude 4.5 and decided to just run it choked. However, once I got it in the water it ran great. My conclusion was that there was a bit of trash somewhere that blew out. A word of caution, if you wind up taking the carb. all apart, count the turns you make on the high speed jet when taking it out, so that you will know where to put it back. If the jet is too far in now, it could cause your current symptoms (from what I know, but hey, I''m no mechanic).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I''m not sure my tecncal jargon is right, but a motor that old is magneto fired. I can remember an old Johnson that my dad had that acted up and it was usually related to the magneto advance gizmo.....wouldn''t advance or decrease like it was supposed to. Kinda emulated choke or carb probs...but it was more related to the magneto/timing advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts