SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just joined SailNet and am trying to soak up as much information and support as possible!

I am pretty new to sailing. I live in Seattle, and my experience sailing is on a friend's 27' liveaboard a couple times a week every summer for the last 2 years. I love it, and have become familiar on her boat but certainly couldn't sail alone yet. I wanted to sail more, and learn hands-on, so I bought a 23' 1971 Catalina from a supportive and local guy who it turns out is friends with many of my friends. He has been very helpful but doesn't know some of the technical, long-term maintenance information. So, here I am!

The boat is in great shape; I've taken it out with the help of experienced sailors many times. It is moored on Lake Union but spent several years in the San Juans. I have been told it should be pulled out and surveyed, which I'm planning to do soon. I plan to eventually take it around the Puget Sound on weekend trips, but for now am learning the ropes on the lakes. If you have any advice for a new boat owner who is eager to learn but knows next to nothing, please pour it on! I've been reading lots about sailing, but can't find as much information on boat maintenance (it's fiberglass), so anything about the basics would be appreciated :)

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
Welcome to SailNet and boat ownership.

One of our chat regulars lives in Seattle and had a Catalina 25 so you may want to connect in chat some time.

As for books, I highly suggest any of Don Casey's sailboat repair books (hull and deck repair, electrics, refinishing) and How Boat Things Work by Charlie Wing.

The Catalina owners associations are also an excellent resource.

Best of luck and don't forget that this forum is a good resource, too.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Novie,

My advice isn't always well receved by some. Here goes:

Get out there! If you have a good head on shoulders, seems like you do, take it easy and get out there. Learn your COLREGS. Don't go out in a hurricane. Bring all your safety gear, plenty of snacks and maybe a beer for after the hook goes down. Sailing is 10% knowledge, 80% experience and the rest dumb luck.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts