SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I am pleased to finanally announce just a few of the many changes we are making at Sailnet. I feel that these changes will significantly impact the members and make this place an even better site than it is.

These are not all of our changes. Many of them will require quite a bit of programing that takes time. But here are a few things that we will be implementing very, very soon. We hope to start rolling them out within the next week or so.

Latitudes and Attitudes

Sailnet and L&A are going to work together. I have spoken with Bob Bitchin, Darren, Captain Woody, Robin, and the entire crew and we are going to put all our energies into helping one another. We are going to be bringing in many of their articles and sponsoring them here. We are going to put links to their L&A TV Channel and radio. We are going to help promote special and upcoming events as they come up. We are going to work together and use resources on both sides to help out sailors and cruisers and get as much information out there as we can.

We are very excited about this. I believe the cultures will match well. We have always felt that L&A is an organization that is passionate about sailors and cruisers and can really help us make a difference for people who love it as much as we do.

Welcome aboard, guys (and gals!!!!).

Q&A With Vendors, Designers, and well-known Sailors

Sailnet is going to invite many well-known sailors and merchants to our site for a Q&A session where they can discuss upcoming designs, their products, and even give sailors a chance to talk to them one-one. Just a couple of people that have agreed are: Gerry Douglas (Catalina Yachts), Valiant Yachts, and many others that you will know very well.

We feel this will give members the rare opportunity to actually talk to the people that design and shape our sport/passion. The "town-halls" will be announced in advance so everyone can attend as would like.

Coupons and Merchandise for Members

Sailnet is going to start recognizing members. We are going to start giving out merchandise and coupons to exceptional members, and really reward those that participate here. This will help the store to play a more active part in the forum, and quite candidly, it is a way of saying thank you for what you do here and for making Sailnet a better place. Some of these coupons will be significant, so for those that are looking to upgrade or outfit your boat, hang around here and you might find it pretty profitable!!!

THere are many other changes that we are in the process of making, but here's where we are starting. I hope everyone feels that these changes are positive and will make Sailnet an even better place. From all the management and moderators at Sailnet & Marine.com, thanks and we hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi everyone - I just want to echo CD's enthusiasm! I've been hoping to get SailNet and Lats & Atts to "combine forces" for a few years now, so I'm particularly excited that it is finally going to happen. Just like Brian said, I think the prevailing attitudes of the typical SailNetter and Lats & Atts fan compliment each other nicely. I say that as we all love sailing, and that sailing is supposed to be fun! OK, so spending a few too many boat units on repairs isn't necessarliy fun, but you know what I mean... At least the coupons should help.

We are looking forward to sharing articles, editorials, as well as our TV show, boat and product reviews. Speaking of that, I'm editing our latest episode and am on a deadline, so I'll check back later.

This will be great. Thanks to Brian for all his hard work in the background on this. We are all going to benefit!

- Darren

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Sailnet has been like a comfortable pair of old shoes, I just hope you don't break it.

·
Administrator
1,887 Posts
Speaking for SailNet - I can tell you we are very excited about these new additions to the site and the news will not end here.

We will also be releasing an entirely new Classifieds Ads Section of the site which will be totally free and searchable by builder, length, price etc in addition to free listing of Electronics, Rigging and even valuable Floatsam and Jetsam (if there is such a thing). The new classifieds will be online in the next few weeks.

Thank You All.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Like a lot of things that change, I am sure you will get some the complain, others will say it is better, some will leave, and most will stay.

I also feel there will be some hickups. So off ward and onward!

Marty
ps
Are the links to the store going to go away? not that I expect them too, but at times it would be nice when linking another website with some info to not have to worry about a word like line breaking up the link!

If this is all I am complaining about, shoot me!:D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sounds great. Thanks for your hard work.

David

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Bueno.... sounds great... :) Can't wait to see the new sections and content.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
and to make matters even better........some time soon Brian gets to sleep. :)

cheers mate.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Lord help us if SD owns SN! Not sure were that would lead to.............. sailing multihulls.net?!?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Most sounds great...not so much with Atts and Lats. I did the subscription thing for a year - was fun on the surface, at first. Great T-shirts. But then three or four months before I cancelled, I was getting that 'gritty biker took up sailing only as a means to get to the next drunk fest party' feel. No, I'm not down on 'bikers', there's a Heritage Springer in my shed - and although I enjoy a beer now and then, I don't need that atmosphere either.

Well hopefully and IIRC, I read somewhere that Atts and Lats where getting more into the sailing aspect. I hope so. Although not life changing, I could go the rest of mine without seeing the word "KEWL" or the adornment of a cartoon dragon in an otherwise beautiful sailing photograph. Just my personal thing and opinion. ; )

Best of luck with the changes...and I'm with Freesail - please don't break that comfortable old shoe...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
So my starting the infamous solar & wind thread, one of the longest on sailnet and I think THE longest ON TOPIC thread, should get me my new windlass, right?

As for the Q & A with famous sailors, well I might be able to fit you in. I'll check my schedule. Everybody should learn how NOT to buy a boat, eh?

Good luck with the changes. Bitchin and kewl (well maybe not)

·
Registered
418 Posts
What will happen with the L&A board? Merged or not?
Hmm...probably nothing. I guess it all depends on how it's integrated. I have no idea what they have in mind. If A&L still has the same feel it did say four years ago, it's just something I'm personally not interested in. I'm not ragging on them really, it's just a personal preference. I doubt I'll stop logging in because of the merge, there's too much good info here and I do enjoy the banter and humor. Some subjects interests me more than others...If it's going to be a separate board, well, I'll wait 'n see how much I enjoy it....or don't. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts