SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
It could get merged as some have on the net. IE take rv.net, iknow I know a land yacht forum. BUT, there are last I checked, some 12 different ways to get to the same forum. IE thru goodsams, trailerlife magizine, motor home, Camping life to name a few. The forum titles, threads etc are all one and the same, but ea of the Affinity orginazations has a way into the forum, with a different look depending upon how you head into the forum.

It could easily go this way at some time in the future, just as example, BoatUS could if it wanted, buy into the forum, also sell it as its own, but, some of us will come in thru sailnet, other thru lats and atts, yet, other could come in thru some other portal.

I am NOT saying that this is the future of sailnet, just a "how it could be done" if someone wanted it to. Along with a way of combining the two forums.

Marty

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Kewl! I'm gonng to start mispelng stuff right now in honner of L&A/Seafaring.

Seriously, though. That's pretty cool. Good job, fellers.

Somebody please tell Bob that he's doing a decent job getting skin for the cover, but we need more throughout.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Most sounds great...not so much with Atts and Lats. I did the subscription thing for a year - was fun on the surface, at first. Great T-shirts. But then three or four months before I cancelled, I was getting that 'gritty biker took up sailing only as a means to get to the next drunk fest party' feel. No, I'm not down on 'bikers', there's a Heritage Springer in my shed - and although I enjoy a beer now and then, I don't need that atmosphere either.

Well hopefully and IIRC, I read somewhere that Atts and Lats where getting more into the sailing aspect. I hope so. Although not life changing, I could go the rest of mine without seeing the word "KEWL" or the adornment of a cartoon dragon in an otherwise beautiful sailing photograph. Just my personal thing and opinion. ; )

Best of luck with the changes...and I'm with Freesail - please don't break that comfortable old shoe...
Fullkeel - I won't argue your last two points (kewl and the dragon), and the old shoe analogy. But your first paragraph is perpetuating a sterotype that is not true. I've been going to official Lats & Atts parties since '03, and for the most part they are definitely not "drunk fests". In fact, with the preponderance of kids at these events, it has more of a family feel - as in families with children, and the Lats & Atts family. Sure, a few people might get a little loud or obnoxious, but that happens whenever you get literally hundreds of people together to celebrate anything - especially a bunch of boaters! With friends I've also attended Bayliner, C-Dory, Grand Banks, and other "organized" rendezvous' and parties, and there is just as much drinking or more at those than at a Lats & Atts event.

I would just ask that everyone keep one thing in mind: Whether it's the magazine or the TV show, it's not about "partying". It's about the lifestyle of the sailor/cruiser/boater. There's a whole lot more to the lifestyle than just parties. That's what Practical Sailor is for! Plus, we always try to remember not to take ourselves too seriously. We are doing this because it's fun and we love it, not because someone hired us to do it... And, quite frankly, we really enjoy sharing the fun with others.

Getting together occasionally with friends and family, listening to music, talking about sailing and having a few beers is as much part of the lifestyle as changing oil or rebedding a portlight. Even then, most of us stiil yearn for and enjoy those quiet weekends on the hook in a beautiful, secluded anchorage... It's my opinion you can enjoy both - just not at the same time! :D

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
I for one am very excited about this. I just hope the commercialization of L&A's doesn't take over this fine forum. We have our own way here and it has been very successful over the years. I look forward to chatting with the builders and experts on various topics. I hope we can all learn something.
I have the first question for the builders. Why cannot you build a boat that doesn't break every time you go out? :p

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OH Damn! Coupons? I just ordered some stuff on Wednesday and Rob did not tell me this. I would have waited.

I did get a good price though.:D :D

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
This may be a good thing. I know BoatUs as of next month - the "Sounder" becomes online only. L&A has long been for non-subscribers a fairly useless site to visit. I know talking locally with one of my endeavors, they were hoping to change the image. So maybe this will be a good marriage if the commercialization / ad ladened aspects are creatively mixed (nixed). Anything that promotes sailing at large and gets local involvement - is good in my book at least.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Fullkeel - I've been going to official Lats & Atts parties since '03, and for the most part they are definitely not "drunk fests". In fact, with the preponderance of kids at these events, it has more of a family feel - as in families with children, and the Lats & Atts family. Sure, a few people might get a little loud or obnoxious, but that happens whenever you get literally hundreds of people together to celebrate anything - especially a bunch of boaters! With friends I've also attended Bayliner, C-Dory, Grand Banks, and other "organized" rendezvous' and parties, and there is just as much drinking or more at those than at a Lats & Atts event.

I would just ask that everyone keep one thing in mind: Whether it's the magazine or the TV show, it's not about "partying". It's about the lifestyle of the sailor/cruiser/boater. There's a whole lot more to the lifestyle than just parties. That's what Practical Sailor is for! Plus, we always try to remember not to take ourselves too seriously. We are doing this because it's fun and we love it, not because someone hired us to do it... And, quite frankly, we really enjoy sharing the fun with others.

Getting together occasionally with friends and family, listening to music, talking about sailing and having a few beers is as much part of the lifestyle as changing oil or rebedding a portlight. Even then, most of us stiil yearn for and enjoy those quiet weekends on the hook in a beautiful, secluded anchorage... It's my opinion you can enjoy both - just not at the same time! :D
Maybe I should pick up a copy of Atts and Lats to get another sounding to be fair. But in the year of my subscription ('05 IIRC) there was always a section devoted to 'top destinations to party' along with the depictions of the revellers with drinks in hand and having a good time. This is not a bad thing. It's just not my thing. In the body of text however, I can't remember
'sailing articles' ever out numbering the 'party articles' other than some relating to getting there by boat. Admittedly, I have not watched the TV offering or picked up a copy of A&L since, but during my period with the mag, this is the feel I came away with and the reason I did not renew.

I have read that A&L is leaning more toward the sailing and family orientation and I think that's a good move. Anything that can dispel some of the myths of boaters being a bunch of drunks (and some of it well deserved) is a good thing.

So maybe I will pick up a copy tomorrow just to see if it gives me the same feel, but I gotta tell ya Moonfish, with the comment that Bob is doing a decent job of getting skin on the cover, doesn't sound like much has changed. I like SKIN and BEER....really! All I'm saying, there is a lot of appeal and following for Atts and Lats, and at the risk of sounding like a stick in the mud, it just may not be what some sailors are looking for in a sailing publication.

At any rate, I wish nothing but success for A&L and SN on the tie in(coming from a airline backround I dislike the word 'merger', seems when that word pops up, somebody gets screwed). ;) Now I'm looking forward to the offerings. Regards, Bob

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Well...they published my car stereo articles so they must be a great magazine eh?
The reason I asked about the boards is that there is a VERY different feel to each board and I don't think they would mix well overall, thought there are some people on L&A I respect. (There are also some that are banned here!)
I often visit the L&A site because the WHOLE magazine is on line and FREE. Some here apparently don't know that. I was a subscriber from issue #1 before we went sailing and I do think that it is a lot more commercial these days and a lot of content has no interest for me...but I just skip over that and go for the good stuff...which is always there. How can I complain when it is free. I enjoy Woody and Tania and Bob's tales and hope the "merger" is a good thing for all concerned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I scan through the mag when I see it. My sense is that it is not accurate to say L&A is focused on heavy partying. It really is about the ‘cruising lifestyle’, just as Bob touts. At all the boat gatherings I attend up and down the West Coast of Mexico, for instance, people are drinking socially but generally not getting drunk or doing stupid things. Ditto for boat gatherings, or boater gatherings, on Puget Sound. The ‘cruising lifestyle’, whatever that really is, while at anchor or in the marina, generally involves social drinking. L&A’s photos show people at boating related social activities holding drinks, but so do Kiwanis Club photos, or class reunion photos, or company picnic photos. While cruising does involve making passages and surviving giant ass storms at sea and such, it also involves getting from one kewl (I am tired of that word, too, and hope it doesn’t show up on SailNet) anchorage to another, scouting out your friends and fellow cruisers anchored there and getting together for some mahi mahi or ahi sashimi, or lobster fresh from a Mexican panga, maybe some of that green leafy stuff girls put on the platter next to the meat, and a sundowner or two.

It would be nice for the magazine to have a little more meat, a little more technical stuff, but you know what? It really is about cruising and laid back livin’ on your cruisin’ boat. Maybe it is the opposite of Sailing World, which I can’t stand as I don’t race. All those ads in it? I think it is a pretty good collection of gear, stuff that is hard to track down, and that a lot of stuff that cruisers need is in there. Where else can you find baggywrinkles? Looking through those ads is sorta like being at the boat show in terms of variety. “A Whole Boat Show in Every Issue!”

And don’t discount Bob. Three of us sailed his old boat, the Lost Soul, from Mazatlan to San Diego last May. It was a very well put together boat, one neat cruising machine. Maybe it didn’t go very well to weather, and maybe a few things could have been nit-picked, but it is a hard working comfortable workhorse of a cruising, not racing, sailboat. It was an organic functioning whole with a lot of neat gear in which it was very comfortable to sail 1,000 miles upwind. He knows what he is doing and has a large number of ocean miles under his big fat a**. And the boat has a very neat naked mermaid in the main salon. It will be interesting to see if he sails his new boat around Cape Horn or through the Canal. Eh, Bob? What’s it gonna be?

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Those of you who are coming down on L&A should kick back and while waiting to see what eventuates here grab a copy on line and have a read.

L&A is not my favourite sailing mag either but as a sailing mag it is immeasurably better today than it was a year or two back. Obviously some of you havn't looked lately and you will be pleasantly surprised I reckon.

Until CD mentioned this collaboration I hadn't looked at L&A for many moons but a look through the recent editions was something of an eye opener for me.

As Cam noted, the whole mag is now available free on line and any magazine that has contributions from the likes of Nigel Calder, Webb Chiles and Jimmy Cornell is doing something right. What's more any organisation that produces material such as the John Kretchmer Passport 40 video cannot be all bad and the L&A "There's a Place" section is a fine read for those interested in destinations beyond their own back gate.

Yeah, sure, there is a bit of fluff involved (and no I don't mean the cover shots) but there is plenty of meat and potatos as well. (the fact that Tania Aebi likes Reid Stowe, they publish Cam's articles and use that damned word kewl is slightly offputting I admit but you can't have everything.) :)

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
What's really happening?

All these posts in 15 hours? I really enjoyed all the great advice I got from the Sailnet members. That is what its real value is. The 'articles, store, etc.' are just accessories. If the Sailnet member section on the opening site gets any smaller it won't be worth visiting. There is too much good stuff out there. Of course this explains why some pulled a 'coup'. :confused:

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Ummm...that would be a strike against them IMHO... ;)

Well...they published my car stereo articles so they must be a great magazine eh?
The reason I asked about the boards is that there is a VERY different feel to each board and I don't think they would mix well overall, thought there are some people on L&A I respect. (There are also some that are banned here!)
I often visit the L&A site because the WHOLE magazine is on line and FREE. Some here apparently don't know that. I was a subscriber from issue #1 before we went sailing and I do think that it is a lot more commercial these days and a lot of content has no interest for me...but I just skip over that and go for the good stuff...which is always there. How can I complain when it is free. I enjoy Woody and Tania and Bob's tales and hope the "merger" is a good thing for all concerned.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Last time I talked to Bob at the Annapollis boat show he was selling A&L's (3.5 mil) so he could buy his new boat and go cruising full time again. I heard he found a buyer and they keeped him on as Editor until his boat is finished and the shake down cruise is complete. I believe the new owners changed A&L's to Seafaring to help change the perception of what was said here earlier. I am not sure how this will all pan out once the new owners get complete control and Sailnet fully merge. It will be interesting to watch.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Last time I talked to Bob at the Annapollis boat show he was selling A&L's (3.5 mil) so he could buy his new boat and go cruising full time again. I heard he found a buyer and they keeped him on as Editor until his boat is finished and the shake down cruise is complete. I believe the new owners changed A&L's to Seafaring to help change the perception of what was said here earlier. I am not sure how this will all pan out once the new owners get complete control and Sailnet fully merge. It will be interesting to watch.
Quick note: Bob has NOT sold the magazine, nor has he received an actual bonafide offer. Some tire kickers, to be sure, but nothing else has changed... It is in fact on the market, and Melrna is correct in saying he and Jody do want to go cruising again full time. Selling the mag will also help him finish the new boat (Shannon's ain't cheap!). Regarding staying on as editor, Bob knows that any smart buyer will want him to do that, and he is more than happy to stay on in that capacity.

Hey, if I had a few extra million bucks lying around... :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Just to clarify, we definitely are not talking about "merger". This is more along the lines of mutually beneficial collaboration. And the exciting L&A component is just one facet of various improvements that we'll gradually introduce.

Not to worry -- the forums will remain the centerpiece and primary focus of SailNet. There is no plan to merge the L&A forum with Sailnet, either.

Stay tuned...:)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Just to clarify, we definitely are not talking about "merger". This is more along the lines of mutually beneficial collaboration. And the exciting L&A component is just one facet of various improvements that we'll gradually introduce.

Not to worry -- the forums will remain the centerpiece and primary focus of SailNet. There is no plan to merge the L&A forum with Sailnet, either.

Stay tuned...:)
What he said !!

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
What effect will this have on the store? I'm still waiting on my autographed CD pinata.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
What effect will this have on the store? I'm still waiting on my autographed CD pinata.

That should have arrived long ago. Did you check the tracking number?

Another new feature that you're all going to like is that CD has auto-enrolled the entire Sailnet membership as "friends" to his Facebook page, as well as subscribed everyone to his personal "tweet" service. By tomorrow evening we should all be receiving hourly updates. Well worth the wait, wouldn't you agree?

:D :D

21 - 40 of 52 Posts