SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a new exhaust elbow and mixing elbow on our Yanmar 2GM. Got a new piece of hose that goes from the elbow to muffler. This thing is so tight I can't even budge it going onto the muffler. Got it on the exhaust pipe to start with before I put it all on the engine. Ended up taking the hose off and figured would try at the muffler side first. Any bright ideas. In a great place as normal so even tougher to get a lot of leverage on it. Thanks

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Try leaving the metal elbow in the freezer for a few hours and a hot setting on a hair dryer applied to the hose for a minute or two. Also line the receiving edge of the cold metal with a lubricant. 'take carfe and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
865 Posts
Measure the outside diameter of the exhaust elbow and the muffler inlet to determine if they are be different diameters. They were 1 7/8" on the exhaust elbow of my 2GM and and 2" on the muffler inlet. I used an exhaust adapter and clamp from the auto parts store to reduce the muffler inlet to 1 7/8". It probably would have been better to increase the discharge from the exhaust elbow to 2" but I had already bought the silicone exhaust hose.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hudsonian,

When you get a chance, replace that automotive clamp with a good stainless steel one from your local marine store. Automotive clamps don't last long in the marine environment.

Regards,

DaCAP

I used an exhaust adapter and clamp from the auto parts store to reduce the muffler inlet to 1 7/8".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts