SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for experienced crew and/or captain to help sail my Beneteau First 40 from West Palm Beach to Newport, RI in early May. I am an experienced sailor but, would prefer to make this passage with someone who has previous experience. It's supposed to be a 6-7 day trip but, we might want to break it up into two trips depending on the weather window around Cape Hatteras.

Thanks, Mark

PS. The boat is a 2011 in excellent condition and was recently surveyed to verified everything is in working order. The boat is well outfitted with extra sails, epirb, life raft, 2 radios, full Raymarine navigation and only 100 hrs on the motor. This is a paid position depending on experience and I would like to hire one captain and one mate to join me.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Will this be a paid position? What year is the boat? Sail inventory? How many other crew? Food and travel expenses covered? To and from boat?

I delivered a 40.7 back from bermuda in 2010 and have additional offshore racing experience to Newport. Email me at

harneyyachtrigging (at) gmail (dot) com

·
Registered
267 Posts
Same questions as zz4gta. In particular, how many crew total are you planning on having, and what is the condition/age of the boat.

I've done this delivery four times, both inside and outside. Your estimate of 6-7 days is not likely. You'd need a perfect weather window AND several good crew on board even hope to make the passage that fast. Plan on two weeks and you'll 'probably' have plenty of time to spare.

Hatteras is the trickiest problem. You will either wait for a weather window hanging out near Cape Lookout or at a dock in Beaufort while your crew are at the pub telling lies about how tough your passage was (recommended), or you can just head up that stretch of the ICW to Norfolk, which will take about 4 days, IIRC. A Bene 40 should be able to fit under the 64' minimum bridge height through that stretch.

The gamble is, if you wait, and your weather window doesn't come within two days, you loose time, and you still might have to go inside. Most of the time if the weather window doesn't look like it will be there when you have to make the decision to turn left in to Beaufort or head straight around the cape, you just make the turn and add three easy days to the delivery. The odds are a bit in your favor going north rather than south, but it can be a tough decision.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss it more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you found a captain yet? If not, I have the same questions as others have asked. As a professional delivery captain, I have done this trip many times. Your rig should be fine for the fixed bridges In the ICW, all are 65' with the exception of the Wilkerson which is a shade under. May could be OK for Hatteras but my choice unless the weather sounds perfect would be to head to Beaufort, NC and head up the ditch to Norfolk where you can jump offshore and head to RI. My estimation would be 10 days. 3 days to Beaufort, 3 in the ICW and 3-4 to RI.

If this is a paid trip, you haven't found anyone and would like to talk more email me at judyfood at gmail dot com

Thanks!
Judy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Experienced crew/captain. Race and cruise my own 30' for over 30 years. Crewed on 40-50' deliveries : Maine to Bras d'Or Lakes, Nova Scotia; Quebec City to Maine; Delaware to Maine, Tortola to Long Island (Stamford), Charleston to Chesapeake Bay. Passed Captains (6 pack) license exam but don't maintain license. Private email at: skipper at basiamille dot net if want to discuss further. Ralph H

·
Lookin' for an excuse ...
162 Posts
I once crewed for "boat owner" who underestimated time and provisions. It was not pretty. 6 to 7 days is not reasonable unless the boat is on a trailer traveling I-95.
I've done that delivery a couple of times; although a little short of RI. If you do the delivery without stopping, seven or eight days is not unrealistic. Don't forget. You have the Gulf Stream pushing you and that adds speed, especially off the coast of Florida.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.