SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
basically didn't get any sleep at all, which negatively affected my ability to crew the next day. Now, they're in the kit.

MedSailor
Agree, inability to sleep or rest is fatal. If someone is prone to have insomnia, ask one's doctor to prescribe some sleeping pills. Get some good stuff, OTC does not work well. LOL.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
By the look at all the stuff people suggest you take you will need your own boat to transport it!

;)
:p. There is always a reality check at the Gate. The girl at the counter says: Your bag is 5 lbs over, that will be additional charge of $200....hahaha.

After that, you will pack wisely. :laugher:laugher:laugher

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Communication is key -
x10. It is nice if it is both ways, but more importantly is from Captain to crews. Doing a passage in a boat, one must accept that it is not a democratic system. The captain makes the rules, I follow his rules until I leave his boat. Everyone has his pet peeve and all have their own reasons. Some of them may be good rules that I will adapt them into my practice, some of not so good I leave them in the back burner.

I remember Capt Tom T at Maryland School of Sailing prohibits anyone bringing LED lights on board. I also carry a back up mini MagLite flashlight I can use if the Captain says no to my LED light.

When I looking for a crew position, I only ask questions about the safety aspects of the passage. Anything other than that, I can live with for the duration of the voyage. I crew mainly for the experience I will gain, not the companionship or pleasure. However, friendship and pleasure will be great if it happens. I consider it is a bonus.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Suffice to say I didn't sail with them again, I was afraid their high blood pressure was contagious. Still, if weight is important to the skipper, you need to know about it before you pack.

MedSailor
Leadership is often more important than seamanship. Some can bring out the best from other (crews), some only know how to bring out the worst of other.

Voyage from hell is not uncommon. :)

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
That was a few years ago, when LED flash light was just emerging. Tom said they were too bright and kill his nite vision.

It is a valid point that too bright a light source will kill the nite vision. But I think the concern is blown out of proportion. My nite vision will come back less than 5 min. It is unlikely that within that 5 min, a tanker is going to run over you. It is not ideal, but it is not fatal.

Likewise I often complaint about Full Moon, it is too damn bright. I lose my nite vision... :laugher. I prefer sailing in pitch dark. :)

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
are you for real or joking cant make it out but for me one of the most beatiful things in life is sailing with a full moon on big trade winds and rollers...
Half and half ...... :p

Sailing with a full moon ahead is too bright for me. In a Pitch dark nite, you can see more stars and all phosphorescent creatures in the bow waves.

Edited: Sorry, you did not hear the echo. Mark typed faster than me. :)

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
There were some rules on the boat I was on that I found completely ridiculous but never made my opinions known.
X10.

There are thing that is not worthy to voice your opinion. I am flexible and will try hard to follow the rules the captain set for his boat. Pay attention and learn something from each trip There are always some goods coming from each voyage even in the trip from Hell. It humbles you and is good for your soul.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.