SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Reaction score
I would add a couple of headlamps that are at least water resistant, if not waterproof, and comfortable enough to wear for hours if needed with plenty of batteries. I like to have my leatherman, or at least a good pocket knife, on my person when not sleeping. Have fun.

· Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Reaction score
I never have a torch on deck.

If I have a specific problem on the foredeck where I really cant do it by toch or available light then I go below and get a torch.

Basically, if one needs a torch one doesn't know the boat. But I'm not racing.
On my own boat, I agree.

It's when you jump on to another's boat and find yourself on watch at night with no moon it's nice to be able to illuminate an area that a "new" noise is coming from, like up the mast or on the foredeck. I also used my headlamp's red lense when rummaging around in the galley so as not to light up the entire interior just to grab a granola bar.

· Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Reaction score
So why are you rummaging? Don't you keep a snack bag at the companionway? Don't you have something for yourself in your watch bag before you head up?

I've had crew express appreciation time and again for the way I keep the snack bag stocked. Little do they know I just want to keep them out of my galley so they don't mess up my menu plan. *grin*
If you read my post, I specifically indicated a recent situation on another's boat when I found my headlamp useful. I was rummaging because I was told to help myself to snacks in the galley, but wasn't told exactly where the snacks were.

No I did not keep food items in a watch bag on the trip I referred to.

The owner required those on nightwatch to have a headlamp at hand. That's the beauty of being the owner, you get to make up whatever rules you want. You seem to have some issues with headlamps and people in your galley messing up your menu plan. On your boat you get to make up your rules.

So to get back on track with the OP asking about what to bring and what should be supplied. Do you think crew should not bring a headlamp? Are they banned from your vessel?;)

· Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Reaction score
I try to communicate effectively with crew. One of my big issues is being blinded by head lamps. I expect my crew to be adults and act responsibly until demonstrated otherwise. So I explain my issue and the rationale for it. If you nuke me with a headlamp it goes in the nav station until we make landfall. Not banned per se.

With respect to rummaging in the galley, it makes the sea cooks job much more difficult if something s/he was counting on as an ingredient is gone. Keeping snacks segregated completely solves that problem.
Which menu item that you prepare has a granola bar in it as an ingredient?:laugher Couldn't resist!

I agree that keeping snacks segregated is handy which I, with the help of my headlamp, discovered they were. I just didn't know where exactly to start looking.

Joking aside, I absolutely agree with you that effective communication between all onboard is integral to a smooth trip. If unsatisfactory use of headlamps and food are such series issues for you personally, it's good that you make that known well ahead of time. Everybody has their triggers. There were some rules on the boat I was on that I found completely ridiculous but never made my opinions known because it wasn't my boat. The owner was very clear on what were and were not acceptable procedures during his safety briefing the day before departure. Had I found anything dangerously unsafe or beyond what I would tolerate during the passage, I could flown back home before weighing anchor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.