SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Looks like the list has already been covered. I would only add to bring a small alarm clock or phone with alarm (and 12V phone charger) so you can be awake and ready for your watch. Sunglasses and sunscreen are good personal items to include. Earplugs can be good or bad, but might be worth bringing along. I used to think of them as bad because you can't hear what's going on on the boat, or might miss an "all hands on deck call" but a couple of years ago on a 2 day race I shared a V-berth with a crew member with REALLY BAD sleep apnea and basically didn't get any sleep at all, which negatively affected my ability to crew the next day. Now, they're in the kit.

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Booz. Nobody has mentioned Booz! You should coordinate if you're contributing to the stores, or if the skipper has it all covered, (in which case you still bring some but just less).

It IS a sailboat after all.... :)

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
A very good point Mark. The list of gear that we've created here is absolutely the maximum list of things to choose from, but not all of it should be taken and many of the items do not need multiple duplication.

I forgot about the weight thing.... some skippers are pretty obsessed about that. I was invited to day-race on a J-30 once. The only piece of gear I had that I needed to stow was a fleece jacket. I put it on the setee and the skipper looked at me with horror in his eyes.

"Put your stuff on the cabin sole to keep the weight low!"

Ummm.... you're the boss. So on this 7,000lb boat, which with the addition of my jacket now weighs 7,000lbs and 10 ounces, has the weight correctly distributed.:rolleyes:

Suffice to say I didn't sail with them again, I was afraid their high blood pressure was contagious. Still, if weight is important to the skipper, you need to know about it before you pack.

MedSailor

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.