SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,304 Posts
Reaction score
As I read each additional post it becoems more clear that anyone joining a new boat for a race should carefully talk to the skipper!

Each one will have different requirements.

And weight allowance! I dont really care about weight but if i was doing a long off shore race with 10 crew does that mean 20 tethers? 20 lifejackets? 10 navigation systems? 10 sat phones and 10 VHFs, 10 EPRIBS & 10 PLBs and 10 AIS. 20 sets of wet weather gear only ten of which are in the team colours? Unapproved torches etc. medical kit and spare operating table....

If everyone brings extra stuff then weight does make a difference on some boats... Like the ones that refuse any food except dehydrated.

Also I heard a story recently about a crew member trying to call by Sat Phone the US Coast Guard to get them off a boat because they were seasick. The skipper didnt know the call was being made till too late... A debacle of cargo ships occured etc etc...
Point is some skippers may not want crew taking stuff on board that can serve as a mutiny.

So back to the original poster... ASK the skipper.

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,304 Posts
Reaction score
I never have a torch on deck.

If I have a specific problem on the foredeck where I really cant do it by toch or available light then I go below and get a torch.

Basically, if one needs a torch one doesn't know the boat. But I'm not racing.

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,304 Posts
Reaction score
are you for real or joking cant make it out but for me one of the most beatiful things in life is sailing with a full moon on big trade winds and rollers...
I don't think he's joking. I prefer no moon, too.
I emjoy the full moon, too, just for a change, but one night of it not the whole week, there a week of no moon is great.
I love the stars and the phosporesence... On dark nights I can turn the nav lights off and watch for hours.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.