SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I've sailed Albacores a fair bit. While they are reasonably priced, have a good class association, and are widely used for racing in small clubs, I'm reluctant to endorse them strongly for your purposes.

My chief gripe is that the hull design lacks static form stability. In other words, they are tremendously unstable at rest. This makes getting in and out of them alongside a dock or from the beach pretty tricky. You must quickly get your CG as low as possible and keep your weight along the centerline. You might be fine with this, but it is very unforgiving for novices. I would not consider this a good choice for introducing friends and family, especially kids, to sailing.

Once they get moving with wind in the sails, they're alright. But they're still very trim sensitive.

I would look for a design that has more form stability and is therefor more forgiving. Just my thoughts...

P.S. Welcome to Sailnet!!:)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Hi Alex,

Could you give us some idea of what your price range is?

Also, will you store the boat at the lake where you will sail it, or will you need to cartop/roofrack or trailer it back and forth? If you will have to transport it, what kind of launching arrangement is available?

Do you plan to simply daysail in protected waters, or are you hoping to go exploring and camp cruising farther afield on the inland lake in this boat?

One boat I like to recommend for new sailors is the Flying Scot, a very stable 19' daysailer. Another boat I like is the Wayfarer, as well as the O'Day DS (Daysailer), but there are a lot of variables (see questions above) so these may not be a good fit for your circumstances.

If you can give us some more specifics, I'll bet other members will offer up quite a few good recommendations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts