SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PSC 31 is a factory rigged cutter, the inner forestay is wire with a turnbuckle. Most of my sailing for the near future will be costal cruising so I would like the option of releasing the inner stay and pulling her back to the mast so I can sail her as a sloop. What is a successful way to store the inner forestay, when not in use, so it does not beat up the spars? Does the curved storage bracket by made Johnson, ABI? work well? Does the stored stay end up being in the way? Any first hand experience/hints with this set up would be most appreciated.
BTW The boat did not come with sails so I ordered a 135 furling genoa w/high cut clew. Still need to order the staysail, I will have it measured once I have things sorted out and the boat is rigged in the spring.

·
Tom Kringstad
38 Posts
Steve,

We have a similar setup, and this summer tried to find a decent way to store the inner forestay while sailing as a sloop. We simulated having a bracket by curving the forestay near the base of the mast and lashing the curved section to the metal plate of the mast step and tried to keep it tight by using a bungee cord attached to the end and wrapping it around the mast pulpet. I wasn't very happy with the arrangement as it wasn't tight enough.

Our sail maker suggested this type of a curved bracket and I think it's the way to go. I am just not sure yet where the optimal placement will be and how to tie off the end to ensure it stays tight. I removed the turnbuckle so that piece of hardware was not hitting or rubbing against the cabin top, but even so the length of the stay is such that it can't be led straight forward as it overlaps the forward hatch. I've thought about mounting the storage bracket such that the stay is led forward towards the hatch and then wraps backward towards the mast, but haven't checked to see if it's feasible.

I know there are others on the board who have similar configurations and will likely chime in with their solutions. (Pictures would be helpful if anyone has a good solution for this)

Tom

ps: Following is a link to a Web site with a picture of the curved storage bracket for reference
Johnson Marine Hardware Online Virtual Catalog: Page 28

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
We have a free-flying staysail, but I've seen folks use the hardware Tom linked to, by attaching it at the base of either the forward or upper shroud and then securing the extra length of stay to the base of the aft shroud.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
My HR 40 has a removable inner forestay rigged from the factory. In addition to the curved bracket on the mast there is a hook about 1/3 of the way out my lowest spreader that keeps the stay away from the mast when stowed. The whole thing works very nicely.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
SV- so at the base of your mast you have the curved bracket and then where does the end of the stay attach- a deck fitting fore or aft of the mast? I like the idea of the hook on the spreader, wouldn't want the think clanging around on the mast.

Timely thread, I'm debating installation of a furler for the staysail or this hardware to secure it.

John

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a free-flying staysail
I thought about a staysail with a sewn in luff line but did not think I would be able to tension it enough with a single part halyard.
Do you fasten the tack and just hoist the head and let her fly?
I was thinking, for ease of handling, having a code zero type drum for the sail or
is the sail so small that this would be overkill?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My In addition to the curved bracket on the mast there is a hook about 1/3 of the way out my lowest spreader that keeps the stay away from the mast when stowed. The whole thing works very nicely.
SV,
How do you get the stay in the hook on the spreader?
:confused: Could you describe the hook in more detail? Does it keep the stay tight against the spreader. The genoa does not mind this hook arrangement?
Sounds like this accomplishes what I want, not to have the stay beating up the mast.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I thought about a staysail with a sewn in luff line but did not think I would be able to tension it enough with a single part halyard.
Do you fasten the tack and just hoist the head and let her fly?
I was thinking, for ease of handling, having a code zero type drum for the sail or
is the sail so small that this would be overkill?
Ours has a low-stretch line sewn in the luff. It gets hoisted on a low-stretch halyard. It goes up fully furled, with the Harken Large-Boat Staysail Furler swivel and drum attached at the head and foot respectively.

Bear in mind that our staysail was intended to augment sail area in light-to-medium air. For heavy going, I think you'd want a staysail that hoists on the wire stay in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts