SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am looking for cool ways to light the exterior/decking of my 36' Sailboat. It's a 1973 so there are just the nav lights as is. I am basically looking for mood lighting to use while night sailing/cruising, or turn on when I'm at dock. Please respond if you have any ideas of lights to use (for example hanging globe lights along boom) post the pictures of them or post if you have pictures of sailboats already lit. Looking to do this for just a couple hundred dollars max. Thanks for the help! Here is an idea of what I may be looking for (although it's clearly much more than a few hundred dollar solution):

http://umla.tumblr.com/post/63484096782

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/509962357777506542/

·
Registered
830 Posts
Dunno 'bout "mood lites":" whilenunderway at unit? I plan on (eventually) having a CIG lkighter/lite combo w/a red LED for underway.
The best I've found for dock lites is solar patio units onthe stern pulpit verticals. and a pair w/out 'poles', just thefixtures, plugged into the winch handle sockets...fit great! ;)

HTH,
Paul

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
Today's led rope lights might be what you are looking for. They come in many colors and there are waterproof strings. I always thought running them all the way around the deck, recessed under the cap rail, would be a nice touch.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Be careful not to wonder into stinkpotter territory. They love to disco their boats and you may draw them over like a moth to flame. :)

The classiest way I've seen a sailboat lit is from under the spreaders, with multiple small lights, especially if you have more than set of spreaders.

A bareboat I chartered once had a string of those led rope lights across a bow that held up the bimini. While it looked a bit cheesy, it was incredibly effective. The wire disappeared into the post and ran below to a breaker. It lit the entire cockpit. If I could figure how to make it look a bit more attractive, I would consider it.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I added LED lights next to every other stanchion that face downward. They light a path on the starboard side going up to the bow. Used when moored, and they use very little electricity. Very nie looking.

Just stay away from the blue LEDs. They are annoying to look at.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I added LED lights next to every other stanchion that face downward. They light a path on the starboard side going up to the bow. Used when moored, and they use very little electricity. Very nie looking.

Just stay away from the blue LEDs. They are annoying to look at.

Regards,
Brad
I bet that looks nice too. Only one side? How did you manage the deck penetration for the wiring?

I forgot to mention that, when in the cockpit at night, we often put a small flashlight in one of the cup holders that shine up to the bimini and the reflection seems to be exactly the right amount of light to eat.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a decent battery powered LED that would attach to a bow under our bimini. A set of batts should last a season (or more) with LED.

·
Registered
196 Posts
if you order them from aliexpress.com you can get a bag of 20 for 20 :) thats what i did. my whole boat is led no incandescent lights at all

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
if you order them from aliexpress.com you can get a bag of 20 for 20 :) thats what i did. my whole boat is led no incandescent lights at all
Do you have a part numebr for those sir?

·
Administrator
7,948 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I bet that looks nice too. Only one side? How did you manage the deck penetration for the wiring?

I forgot to mention that, when in the cockpit at night, we often put a small flashlight in one of the cup holders that shine up to the bimini and the reflection seems to be exactly the right amount of light to eat.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a decent battery powered LED that would attach to a bow under our bimini. A set of batts should last a season (or more) with LED.
I'll have to post a picture to really explain it. I ran 2/20 (20 gauge) white wire under the lower lifeline. It actually runs through the whole bow pulpit and gets into the boat through the same little hole that the bow light's wire goes through.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put 2 solar powered tiki lights on the back of my boat. Everyone comments favorably to them. They flicker like flames.:)

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
While underway it is illegal to have lights on other than standard navigation lights.

Rule 20 - Navigation Rules Online

Fine while at dock, anchored, so-so, not so much underway.
I guess you should inform the cruise ship companies of this rule. Quite often they are so well lit that it is difficult to see their nav lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I found some solar powered LED rope lights at Home Depot and ran them under my bimini. Was very nice light, not quite brite enough to read small print (at least for me) but plenty to see to do stuff like mix a drink in the cockpit at night. Mine shine all night long on one day of charge. The string was about 15' long. Don't drop the panel/battery thingy in the salt water though, it don't like that! lol.

Kevin

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
While underway it is illegal to have lights on other than standard navigation lights.

Rule 20 - Navigation Rules Online

Fine while at dock, anchored, so-so, not so much underway.
b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, [Except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.]

You can have other lights as long as they don't look like navigation lights or can be mistaken for them. Also, they shall not interfere with a proper look-out. This is where prudence come in. So don't have red and green Christmas lights strung up because it can be mistaken for running lights, etc. Or a light system monstrosity so bright no one in a 2m radius can see anything because of back scatter and glare from your vessel, much less you can't see either.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts