SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install flush mount exterior stereo speakers on my Catalina 22, any suggestions on location? Either side of the companionway would be right in someones ear that may be lounging against it. It seems the only other spot would be down under the seat bench. Any other suggestions? Thank you, Andy

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Andyjen—

Wherever you decide to mount the speakers, if the compartment they are mounted in opens to the interior of the boat/bilge, you should mount the speakers behind deck plates so you can seal them off in heavy weather. Otherwise, if you get pooped, the speakers can become a huge entry point for water downflooding into the hull.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes most people call it the stern pulpit but it's real name is pushpit. You can mount weatherproof box speakers there that can be easily removed or installed as needed and generaly they will not affect the tiller pilot.

I believe that Sailingdog is referring to the round inspect ports that you could set the speker in and then screw in the cover to seal them off if necesary. Good idea as it could also be used to protect the speakers from the elements when not in use.

Gary

·
Salty
106 Posts
I think placement under the bench would ba a bad idea as this area experiences a lot of foot abuse in addition to water exposure from seas and weather. If you are using your boat for daysails and possibly weekend cruising, a temporary mounting solution would probably work best while keeping the integrity of the cockpit. You could run your speaker wires in a semi-permanent manner with tie wraps and look for some small outdoor speakers to connect while cruising. Just pay attention to speaker impedance when connecting residential speakers to marine/auto head units.

.....or you could really simplify your life by getting a sacrificial boom box with an aux input for your ipod, etc.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
I looked around at a few pics of a catalina 22. If it were mine I would mount them under the bench near the stern. You would get minimal foot abuse, and wouldn't blast everyone out of the cockpit.

This is assuming that you sail in a lake or similar area where getting pooped isn't an issue. I also assume that you don't have a tiller pilot and that you'll be using speakers designed for outdoor use. If there's an issue with any of these items, I wouldn't mount them in the cockpit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do you have enough room to mount them in the top of your combing boxes pointing down. You could even design a face cover as a seal if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another mounting idea that I've found to work well is to mount external speakers to your winches. I found two old non-locking winch handles at the local marine salvage store, removed the parts that fit into the winch (bits? keys? what is the right term for that part?:confused:) and bolted them to the bases of a pair of enclosed outdoor speakers. The speakers then fit into the cabin-top winches. I never use them when under way, and it only takes a moment to mount or dismount them.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Sailing dog, I understand you concern, What do you mean by deck plates...something temporary you attatch when the weather or knockdown is about to occur?
Deck plates look like this:

photo courtesy of beckson

So the speaker would actually be mounted behind the fiberglass, the deckplate on the front side...and when you're sailing in the heavy stuff, screw the plates in... :)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Part of the problem with this is if the boat gets pooped severely enough, there's a chance of the bowls screws ripping out and then you're in trouble. The deck plates are on the outside and any pressure caused by the pooping wave is going to press them against the coaming, holding them in place rather than attempting to rip them out.

The stainless steel mixing bowls, being non-marine grade stainless are also far more likely to bleed rust and corrode than plastic deckplates. They may interfere with the performance of the speakers. Finally, they require a lot more depth than does adding a deckplate.
another very simple way to keep the water out of the boat is to put large stainless mixing bowls behind the speaker. if you can find ones the same size as the speaker you can even use the bowl to help with the screws mounting the speaker, ie sheet metal screws.

like these Bed Bath & Beyond - Oxo Good Grips Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls

1 - 16 of 16 Posts