SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm refinishing all my exterior teak , off boat. This is on a Catalina 30. What's the best way to reinstall? Only the handrails are thru bolted--thinking of using butyl tape. Everything else is screwed in. The eyebrows have small screws, so I think they definitely need an adhesive. Cabin top hatch rails have a gap between rail and "doghouse" that needs to be filled, otherwise water goes right to the underside of the rails. Has anyone used Sikaflex 221? Could an adhesive be used with butyl tape? Thanks

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,402 Posts
I don't think you can mix butyl tape with adhesive.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I'm refinishing all my exterior teak , off boat. This is on a Catalina 30. What's the best way to reinstall? Only the handrails are thru bolted--thinking of using butyl tape. Everything else is screwed in. The eyebrows have small screws, so I think they definitely need an adhesive. Cabin top hatch rails have a gap between rail and "doghouse" that needs to be filled, otherwise water goes right to the underside of the rails. Has anyone used Sikaflex 221? Could an adhesive be used with butyl tape? Thanks
You do not want a strong adhesive, but one that will fill any small gaps and compress well with the fasteners used. Butyl is great stuff but really needs the compression bolts give and screws, especially for simple trim, are not enough. For anything screwed down I would use Sika 291 or possibly 3M 4200 although even it is often too adhesive. A true adhesive is only needed if fasteners aren't used.

No, butyl is used alone and not ever combined with any other bedding compounds.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
On my C25, I used butyl for rebedding the mast step and some of the other, through-bolted stuff. I'd use that for the grab-rails, too. For the eyebrows, I used either 4200 or LifeCaulk. You want something that can be removed fairly easily the next time you want to refinish the teak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all ! I had a feeling that the butyl had to be used by itself. I'll probably use the butyl for the handrails, and the Sika 291-just read some good reviews at Jamestown Distributors site--for the other trim. Thanks again !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts