SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation.
There is a customer in the yard who is restoring a "good find". A Cheoy Lee 32', (I think).
We pulled the stick a few months ago. It had some rot and actually separated just above the step as we were pulling it.
Since then, she has had the mast repaired and we have made all new standing rigging.
She has had her own people working on the project and I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it.
Today, as she was painting the mast she informed us that she wanted us to run wire for a tri-color, vhf and steaming/deck combo. Problem is the spar is solid. Nowhere for internal wire.

Does anyone have any ideas for a halfway decent looking and effective way to run these wires externally?
All thoughts and suggestions will be gratefully considered and presented to the customer.
Thanks,

Best regards,
Steve Smith

·
Registered
725 Posts
run all the wire inside a plastic pipe. then install the pipe up the mast.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
That's probably your only really good choice... you need to have the wires enclosed in a conduit of some sort...

·
Registered
337 Posts
On a number of old wooden boats with solid wooden masts, I have pulled wire through the sheath of a length of line after removing the core.. It was then seized to an upper shroud with marlin.THe result will blend in with the rigging. Line manufacturers run off lengths of core only and sheath only when changing their machines over from one type of line to another. Contact one or check a marine gear surplus store. Sheath only is sold by the pound and usually equates to about 10-15 cents a foot.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Knot, a buddy of mine was doing the same thing as you external wiring on a wood mast. We found some stuff called funny pipe at the big box home improvement store. It is used for lawn sprinklers. 3/8 inches. comes in rolls. we got a 50ft roll for $20 it is flexible and no joints that are ugly. Held in place by copper pipe straps and copper wood screws. looked nice enough we did not paint it.

Use this 50' Toro Funny Pipe roll to connect to your sprinkler heads. Provides flexibility to get around obstacles. No glue or clamps needed. Cushions your sprinkler head to protect against damage in high traffic areas.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=150><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD rowSpan=2>
[/URL] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#e2e2e2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#e2e2e2>
</TD><TD width="100%" bgColor=#e2e2e2>Product Details

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- Include Series Price Range Here --><!-- Iterating the Feature Bullets Here -->
  • No glue or clamps needed
  • Use instead of PVC risers
  • Flexible pipe makes sprinkler head positioning easy
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies.
I was thinking that I needed to use a conduit of some sort. I was even thinking along the lines of using a half round wooden thing. Like half of a wooden shroud roller. Might be pretty bulky though.
Maybe if I can talk the owner into having an enclosure built, no one will notice how ugly the mast looks.:laugher

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a solid mast can also have a groove routed into the front, wire run in it , and a spline glued in to enclose it.
I really like that idea. Unfortunately, It's been already been painted and the owner has alienated the guy she had doing the woodwork and I don't feel qualified to do that myself. Certainly would have been a good way to go.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Big sailing community,are there no other woodworkers there?

There are.
I am planning to pass on all the ideas that I received here to the owner the next time I speak to her.
She is in the yard where I operate my business but she is my customer only in as much as she asked me to pull the mast and duplicate the rigging.
As I mentioned, she has had her own people working on the project and has had the yard do some work as well.
She just sprung this on me the other day after assuring me all along that she was going to have her guy take care of all the mast work. Including wiring.
I agree that your method is the best all around solution and I actually thought something like that was the way it was going to be done. It wasn't. And now it's becoming my problem. She is of the opinion that the woodwork is finished and has painted the mast.
I doubt that she will be willing to start again, even if that's the proper way to go.
She was willing to use white PVC. I'm just fishing for a slightly less unsightly solution.

By the way, did you build your Sampson? I had the plans for a Sea Farer 39' and some dreams once. Didn't get far.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The grey pipe in the electrical department is supposed to hold up better in the outside and UV light resistant.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Knothead,no I did not build her. Ferrocement is the one medium I have yet to build with. My samson was professionally built by a yard in Ventura, Ca. They built several as I was able to identify at least 4 others in the background of her construction photos. Does anyone have info about yards there building ferro boats in the 1970's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts