SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We chose to stay on Kentucky Lake this winter because, according to the weather history, it's not usually a place with extreme cold.. Not often in the "really cold" range.

Now it seems we are facing the coldest extremes in 20 years here on the lake with subzero temps.

Woke up yesterday to snow and ice. Sunday it's supposed to drop down to single digits and stays there until Tuesday...

Of course our sailboat seems to lack any sort of insulation and the admiral has a smoking addiction and every time she opens the hatch to smoke, every bit of heat we have goes out and is replaced with winter cold.

Fortunately the temps will be back in the mid to high 40's by Thursday.

This photo is from Jan 2

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Woke up yesterday to snow and ice. Sunday it's supposed to drop down to single digits and stays there until Tuesday...
Tropical!

Our forecast calls for lows of -20ºF both Sunday and Monday night.

Almost nobody smokes indoors anymore, and temps like this get a lot of people to quit....

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Where on KY Lake are you?

I have my boat on the Lake Barkley side of Grand Rivers at Green Turtle Bay Marina. I drove up to check on the boat and despite the snow/ice on it, it still looked like it was doing pretty good. I'm not looking forward to the single digits expected on Monday.

·
Catamarans are the best
101 Posts
Yes, getting to the boat would be good.. Our forecast calls for -27 deg. F. for the next few days with -60 F wind chills.. Sad thing is its not unheard of this time of year. Very sad.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
I am in KY, East of you. The cold and heat seem more intense here because we always have humidity. "That cold KY rain" "AZ its a dry heat" Here in the summer at 85* I run into the AZ natives that beg to be home in triple digit temps.
I would Treat myself to a room. You may have to see if you can find a motel, church or shelter.
Mammoth Cave is great in the winter. The crowds are not as big and the underground temp is the same year round. It is a National Park well worth the trip. :)
This state is no place for a weather man. I have been hearing temps forecast as low as -6 But then back up to +50
I have a tarp over my boat for the winter. My boat is on a trailer. I have found the tarp will warm it up when I am out messing around in it. the tarp acts like an emergency blanket. At the extreme cold I do not know if you will have much help from a tarp. Maybe some one else can comment ?
Good Day, Lou

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where on KY Lake are you?

I have my boat on the Lake Barkley side of Grand Rivers at Green Turtle Bay Marina. I drove up to check on the boat and despite the snow/ice on it, it still looked like it was doing pretty good. I'm not looking forward to the single digits expected on Monday.
We are over at Kenlake Marina. They have treated us very good over here. It's no GTB, but we have the basics at a quarter of the cost.

IMHO, the crew over here are very people oriented and down to earth. We felt really out of place over there at GTB with all those rich folk. They didn't treat us like we were on their level.

But anyway, we've met some nice people over here and one who said he's going to give me sailing lessons on the lake this coming season and is going to help me step my mast when the weather improves.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in KY, East of you. The cold and heat seem more intense here because we always have humidity. "That cold KY rain" "AZ its a dry heat" Here in the summer at 85* I run into the AZ natives that beg to be home in triple digit temps.
I would Treat myself to a room. You may have to see if you can find a motel, church or shelter.
Mammoth Cave is great in the winter. The crowds are not as big and the underground temp is the same year round. It is a National Park well worth the trip. :)
This state is no place for a weather man. I have been hearing temps forecast as low as -6 But then back up to +50
I have a tarp over my boat for the winter. My boat is on a trailer. I have found the tarp will warm it up when I am out messing around in it. the tarp acts like an emergency blanket. At the extreme cold I do not know if you will have much help from a tarp. Maybe some one else can comment ?
Good Day, Lou
Monday is going to be rough, but then it'll warm right back up. We stay pretty warm. We haven't had to turn the heater up on high yet. It's still on it's low setting. If it gets too cold, I'll pull out the propane heater and run electric and propane together.

I'm not overly concerned considering it's not supposed to be a long cold spell. We spent some hot springs in the Desert of Southern California and come cool summers in the Eastern Sierras when we traveled around in our Motorhome... It's been a long time since we've experienced extreme humidity... I can say we aren't looking forward to that.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
I am thinking someone with some cold weather live aboard experience will comment soon.
I have seen some magazine articles with sailboats chasing Ice bergs. The boats all had wood /coal stove. The charley noble a nick name for the flue pipe.
I have been reading propane makes condensation they also have some diesel heaters that can make a cook stove

good day Lou

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking someone with some cold weather live aboard experience will comment soon.
I have seen some magazine articles with sailboats chasing Ice bergs. The boats all had wood /coal stove. The charley noble a nick name for the flue pipe.
I have been reading propane makes condensation they also have some diesel heaters that can make a cook stove

good day Lou
Yes, propane causes horrible condensation problems. Since we switched to electric at the dock, we don't have near the problems with it.

On top of that, I'm a little leery of running the propane at night while we are sleeping. I don't worry so much with the Electric heat on.

Even with the heat on last night, we woke up to ice on the port holes in the vberth this morning.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I want to get a wood heater for my boat but I need to figure out how/where to mount one. I could spend a little more time on the boat in colder weather.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
...Even with the heat on last night, we woke up to ice on the port holes in the vberth this morning.
Do yourself/boat a favor. Get to the local hardware store or UPS store and buy yourself a roll of clear bubble wrap. Cut lengths to size and fit them over your ports/hatch covers. They will admit light but insulate the ports and reduce/eliminate condensate accumulations. You'll be glad you did.

FWIW...

·
Registered
289 Posts
3yrs ago I bought that -Bubble- insulation at Walmart in Murray,Ky in the weather strip dept. Also you might use that painters removable tape and tape the bubble wrap inside the boat , or Velcro in the sewing dept,(as I did in 9 degree weather in Kenlake marina).
.....For me, the Tarp was helpful, but ugly. Of course the inside bubble stuff was ugly. But you have even more cold than I did. I also used a Mr. Heater at times for a boost while awake with No carbon Monoxide readings. You could also plug in -two- shorepower
connections and buy another heater. **I did all of the above and shut the door to the front cabin & slept in the main cabin. (as you & wife know that humid cold is miserable)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3yrs ago I bought that -Bubble- insulation at Walmart in Murray,Ky in the weather strip dept. Also you might use that painters removable tape and tape the bubble wrap inside the boat , or Velcro in the sewing dept,(as I did in 9 degree weather in Kenlake marina).
.....For me, the Tarp was helpful, but ugly. Of course the inside bubble stuff was ugly. But you have even more cold than I did. I also used a Mr. Heater at times for a boost while awake with No carbon Monoxide readings. You could also plug in -two- shorepower
connections and buy another heater. **I did all of the above and shut the door to the front cabin & slept in the main cabin. (as you & wife know that humid cold is miserable)

I wasn't sure whether to put the bubble wrap inside or out, so I did a mixture of both to see what worked best. Yeah, I know... Duct Tape.. But it is on the metal and not the hull and I have goo b gone stuff that is supposed to clean off the mess it's bound to make.

Yes, we have a Mr. Heater too and have never run it overnight due to the fear of waking up dead. They get expensive to run over time and opted for a radiant electric heater that works well on low.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks like a Bear in hibernation. (nice pictures). Kenlake Resort short 15 min walk up hill to west. room rates in
Winter
(Dec 1, 2013 - Feb 27, 2014) $49.95 Sun to Sat. If you get cabin fever they have a
huge dining room. Does the marina still have a courtesy car so you can get food ?
MAST raising at Lighthouse marina 20 miles back toward Kentucky Dam.
Its an all sailboat marina ! How would they raise it at Kenlake ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a Bear in hibernation. (nice pictures). Kenlake Resort short 15 min walk up hill to west. room rates in
Winter
(Dec 1, 2013 - Feb 27, 2014) $49.95 Sun to Sat. If you get cabin fever they have a
huge dining room. Does the marina still have a courtesy car so you can get food ?
MAST raising at Lighthouse marina 20 miles back toward Kentucky Dam.
Its an all sailboat marina ! How would they raise it at Kenlake ?

I met a guy here who is very experienced with sailboats and knows how to use 2 sailboats to raise the mast on a 3rd. GTB wants a minimum of $150 to step the mast and Lighthouse Landing wants a Minimum of $180

Kenlake Marina kind of has a courtesy car, but not really. Knowing that I am going to be here for a few months, I went up to Illinois, on Jan 1st and got my Kia Sedona out of storage, got Kentucky insurance and have it here at the marina. We are taking showers at the Tennis Center.

I had a friend of mine pick up my van in Kenosha, WI where we put the boat in and take it back and store it for me at her house.

Like I have said many times, The crew here, Scott and Ben, have treated us golden. We really like it here. We were using their "courtesy car" several times a week for a month before we finally brought the van down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got a small 1.8 kw generator ... air cooled .... exhaust piped outside. ... supplies all lites and will run my 1500 watt heater... have the bedroom insulated.... boat is in Maine where it gets mighty cold. .... Its livable !

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
I think you can add more plastic . That bubble wrap idea was excellent !
Good time to visit the public library ? They will have movies internet and such. Monday It will be ugly. I can adjust my attitude if I set a time goal and havea mission or chore to do. Post a massive amount ? volunteer ? Think about a visit to some of the caves in that half of the state. If you get a room. Corvette museum and factory is in Bowling Green. A drive will cost you $ but you will be warm. Just hear this ...after you spend time out in the cold your body will say SLEEP when you get warm. Sleep, Drive ,Die ! :( If you take a drive pick a destination get a room make it a holiday?
I work outside as a pipefitter. For me and most of the other trades that are outside, a winter diet changes to more meat ,chilly beans, Bean soup, you just start to crave food like that. Most of the folks have no idea they change what they eat they just do. Its not just because something hot taste good .You body needs change. Chilly cook off in the summer ?.. no thanks it is time for a cool salad.
I can feel some for you, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
How about the folks from Canada . How do they make a go of it ? I was expecting a few more hard core polar sailors to chime in.
You could read about Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton King of the cold and sailor to the max !!!
good day, Lou

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Rhapsody, but a heat pump - cool in summer, great heat source in the winter. Mine is a 17,000 BTU monster that really puts out the heat and cool air, but only draws about 15 amps. No condensation, constant circulation of air, and perfect climate control with just the touch of a thermostat. The price has really come down on these systems over the years - think about it.

Gary :cool:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts