SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,154 Posts
Most of the current focus is on Gordon, but Florence poses more of a threat to the fall ICW migration. My trip from RI to FL is slated to begin on 9-17, and she's a concern. Also, after watching the satellite videos of the Atlantic, there seems to be another disturbance (Invest 92L) right behind her.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
I’m leaving with the SDR on or around November 1. In the past once you got through September you were generally home free. Now cyclonic storms occur both before and after the classic season with increasing frequency.
You watch the west coast of Africa but how much does this help? Leave too late and face the cold and North Atlantic gales. Leave too early hurricanes. Can’t win.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I’m leaving with the SDR on or around November 1. In the past once you got through September you were generally home free. Now cyclonic storms occur both before and after the classic season with increasing frequency.
You watch the west coast of Africa but how much does this help? Leave too late and face the cold and North Atlantic gales. Leave too early hurricanes. Can’t win.
Needs revision:
  • June too soon
  • July standby
  • August you must
  • September remember
  • October all over

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Most of the current focus is on Gordon, but Florence poses more of a threat to the fall ICW migration. My trip from RI to FL is slated to begin on 9-17, and she's a concern. Also, after watching the satellite videos of the Atlantic, there seems to be another disturbance (Invest 92L) right behind her.
I believe 2/3rds of all hurricanes occur in September. Even if one wasn't barreling down, how do you plan around them? Are you planning a direct run, or an ICW crawl?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,154 Posts
I believe 2/3rds of all hurricanes occur in September. Even if one wasn't barreling down, how do you plan around them? Are you planning a direct run, or an ICW crawl?
Little bitta both.

Attachments

·
bell ringer
4,768 Posts
I'm heading down. Every day's trip is based on weather, even if a hurricane isn't in the area. But if one is questionable I go ahead and make sure I'm in a position to go to ground. If I lose a day or two for nothing, no big loss of time as I have all the time I need.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,154 Posts
Hope that this doesn't happen. Punt if it does.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Hope that this doesn't happen. Punt if it does.
Best of luck. Don’t know what punt actually means. I’m sure you could figure out how to get outta dodge. The boat could be exposed. Sea state outside the ICW is almost certain to be churned up, even if you don’t take a hit. Have you done this run in Sept before?

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
With another building right behind Florence. That close pattern always seems to get touchy, with two storms barreling across the Atlantic.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,154 Posts
Invest 92L has me worried because if it does ramp up, it will be right about when I am scheduled to depart.

·
bell ringer
4,768 Posts
It's too early and unpredicted for me to get my underies wadded up yet as to planning. The best I can do is not to put myself somewhere with very limited "go to ground" choices in about 5-7 days till have a better idea.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
NHC is showing a more southerly route for Florence, which was the more concerning. Now a third 20% formation off the coast of Africa, as well as an 80% right behind Florence. I have a bad feeling about this. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of the spaghetti models has her going, apparently, right over my foredeck. I'm going to be splicing up some new dock lines this weekend, just in case.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,154 Posts
NHC is showing a more southerly route for Florence, which was the more concerning. Now a third 20% formation off the coast of Africa, as well as an 80% right behind Florence. I have a bad feeling about this. Hope I'm wrong.
Me too! - on both counts:)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts