SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Tell that to my wife...
Is she why you have the Nov 1 arrival deadline?

Florence may be past, but the ICW will undoubtedly take a beating. I'd be surprised if many sections did not close or become impractical with debris. Issac is the next wild card. Mid Caribbean by early next week, not sure if it turns toward FL and the East Coast or not.

Truly wishing you the best and hoping you can find more flexibility in your plan. Hate to see sailing disappoinment.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
Yep, she (well her family) is the reason that I need to be in Ft Myers *before* Nov 1.

Right now I am cautiously optimistic about beginning the trip. My plan is to leave Monday and be in Sandy Hook by Wednesday. By then we should all have a better idea of what Florence did to the AICW (and the 'Jersey coast) and what Issak will do to Florida and the Gulf. If it's a mess we can turn around and head back to RI from NJ.

Thanks for the positive thoughts! :)

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Yep, she (well her family) is the reason that I need to be in Ft Myers *before* Nov 1........
I don't like it when my wife tells me what to do, but I never ever let her family tell me what to do. You're a better man that I. :)

Best to you. Your plan sounds reasonable to me, not that you need any validation.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
Yep, she (well her family) is the reason that I need to be in Ft Myers *before* Nov 1.

! :)
Only reasonable way to make that is with long off shore passages. And that’s a little crazy really.

Just as a thought, there are rental car places in FL. Get a safe boat place, and drive!

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Ed last year due to family (wife) and weather I turned around off the jersey coast and headed back to R.I. Plan was Norfolk by nov 1 and then BVI with sdr.
I survived another New England winter. It sucked but was the right thing to do. Leaving for Antigua in a month. Just hope the season has wounded down. Don’t push it. There’s next year if it doesn’t work out. Wish you the best and know you’ll make the right call.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
I will be making my decision of whether or not to proceed on my trip based on the latest information available to me on Saturday.

By the look of the current tropical storm force wind speed map, I am planning to be offshore in the area that will experience the worst of it. And, I will be passing through a week and a half after the storm. My planned trip may be relatively unaffected.

The current forecast has it slowing to a crawl at the coast, and then turning more westerly;

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to count on anything as far as fuel and provisioning goes from Norfolk to Savannah. Buoys and markers will be off or non existent. Warrants Consideration. Conditions will most likely be fine for offshore by then but it would be a heck of a run if you had to go outside from Norfolk to Savannah.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts

·
bell ringer
5,039 Posts
I will be making my decision of whether or not to proceed on my trip based on the latest information available to me on Saturday.

By the look of the current tropical storm force wind speed map, I am planning to be offshore in the area that will experience the worst of it. And, I will be passing through a week and a half after the storm. My planned trip may be relatively unaffected.
Hell just leave then. I'm already at Port jefferson and will be at Port Washington tomorrow as that's a great staging stop for running down the NJ coast. A week and half is just mystery land forecasting.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Just had contact with a friend in Savannah. Their alright but tell me with the mandatory evacuations all the bridges are down and staying that way. That means people and boats stuck between the bridges are truly stuck. That’s where my prayers are tonight.
I did part of the ICW once. It was in a trawler and we did a short segment. Beyond the boredom found it a difficult trip. The thought that it’s safer than going outside never made much sense to me. In this instance just hope the CG or other authority picks up these people off their boats and gets them to safety.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
Livestream from Frying Pan Shoal;

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,415 Posts
Wow! the flag in the livestream above was fully intact when I posted the link at noon. The outer edge is fraying and the bottom three stripes appear to be separating at 2:20pm... I see now that the three stripes have separated!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yea, it's going to be ugly down there.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Watching that flag is a sad metaphor for what the storm is doing to the NC coast.

If you're going to watch the flag at the lighthouse, you might as well also watch the wind sensors. Currently shredding the flag with 36kt with gusts to 52. Just imagine what hurricane force winds will do:

Map Results | Wind, Forecast, Radar, Weather & More | WindAlert

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Rick,
Where are you seeing those readings?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Rick,
Where are you seeing those readings?
Current readings for Frying Pan Shoal tower should be on the left side of the link that I posted:

Click on the Live Wind Plus for a really neat animation of the current wind conditions. Here's a still shot:

Attachments

Reactions: ThereYouAre

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Duh, OK and thanks, got it. The iPhone presentation is different.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Duh, OK and thanks, got it. The iPhone presentation is different.
Sorry I didn’t anticipate that. I should have, since I usually access WindAlert on my phone too.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts