SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven ongoing battle with basal cells carcinomas that have to be removed at some serious expense. And I love to sail 3x a week. Bad combination. I always use sun screen of the 70 version. The other day I noticed a couple fishermen on the water with some sort of mask that seemed to cover almost their full face. Do sailors use these as well? And would anyone here have experience and a recommendation? Only ones I have seen have fish graphics... :) I would not want anyone thinking me a fisherman...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have the same problem. Just had two more basal cell spots removed a couple of weeks ago. I have one of those masks and do use it sometimes. Mostly, though, I just rely on a good hat and lightweight, long-sleeved and long-legged, shirts and pants.

I looked at the e-bay link and noticed that several of the masks are camouflage. I would not get those, as there are a large number of Caribbean nations where wearing camouflage is heavily frowned upon, and some where it is even illegal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One of the best things to do is use a Quality Sunscreen. One of the best is "L'Oreal Ombrelle Sunscreen SPF 45 w/ MEXORYL" I always had to order it from Canada, The Mexoryl is the ingredient that does the job. It is worth the money. Other commercial crap just washes away or becomes ineffective in short order.

I climbed the snow fields of Rainier and other Mtns in Washington in the summers.. This sunscreen worked the best hands down.

·
Registered
830 Posts
SPF 200, big hat brim, huge sunglasses aas a last resort, big red. hankie; ala` cowboysy. Shemaghs *may be currently de rigeur;. but a big, red hankie *IS* traditional. sailor's gear. Din't ya ever dress upas a Pirate as . kid? ;) 'Sides; isn't it always in yer hip pocket?
Multi-function fashion wear. :D. Headwear, neckwear AND.face cover for sun,wind, dust..
Jus' don't forget to remove it prior to visiting the bank! LOL

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
There's always good old zinc oxide:

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Ordinary pancake makeup is probably the best thing to use for sun block, especially in the tropics. Commercial fishermen have been using this stuff effectively for decades.

As for those basil cell lesions, they just didn't happen overnight - that is the result of years of neglecting to cover up. Even if you went to a face mask, you would likely still have experienced them.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Administrator
7,555 Posts
Some of the locals in the Caribbean wear balaclavas. Bit scary first sight!

Find a light one, or make one.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
agreed this comes from younger years before sunscreen. All docs tell me I did the major damage decades ago. But I have been a careful outdoors guy for 25 years now and still the growths keep coming...

but i grow tired of the use of sunblock creams which are a pain to apply and due to frequency of sailing have done some other weird things to my skin. I may try one of these products and see if ease of use and full cover at least slows the basals. I have been dealing with these since 1984 and now have an excellent skin surgeon. I moved on form general dermotologists long ago. Will report back on whether I like this new covering. As to what it looks like, I could care less.

Ordinary pancake makeup is probably the best thing to use for sun block, especially in the tropics. Commercial fishermen have been using this stuff effectively for decades.

As for those basil cell lesions, they just didn't happen overnight - that is the result of years of neglecting to cover up. Even if you went to a face mask, you would likely still have experienced them.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Think other than zinc sunblock just a pia.
Tilly hat. Tops of ears covered.
Long sleeve vented shirts 100% uv block.
Bimini
Shorts that go down to knees.
Uv block glasses. Avoid cataracts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts