SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend, Cascais hosted the last races of 2008..The Christmas regattas, where over 309 sailors got together for the last real race of 2008, and battled for what it was worth.

Classes like Optimist A, Optimist B, 420, Laser 4.7, Laser SB3 and Dragon sailed one more time...for the 2008 season...the races were held over 3 days, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (a national Holiday).

a total of 51 races all together in all classes!! In very heavy wind conditions on Sunday and Monday

my son Fred had his first REAL race in Optimist B class where he now competes..Fred placed a humble but consistent 49th place overall, with a race completed with a torn main sheet, having to sheet the boom by hand and teeth..really. Fred completed all 7 races he had to do, with no de-qualifications, protests or faults..he placed out of 97 racers in his class, as follows:

race 1 55
race 2 35
race 3 44
race 4 42
race 5 48
race 6 27
race 7 59

Giving him a total of 251 series points..not bad for the first race, really...but he understands that now the levels are different and the conditions are tougher..and a lot of sacrifice and work lies ahead.

A good thing I conclude by looking at his scores is he is pretty consistent..a good thing.

Just a little note, in Race 1 Fred's main sheet tore the outer skin leaving him with nothing but a few wet strings of his sheet core, to pull his boom...he jury rigged what was left of his main sheet, tied a knot to the boom and finished the race pulling it without any blocks..a real BFS.

Here are a few moments from that 3 day weekend..by the way..most of them raced with Sant's hats on!!! really see for yourself

The "mean machine" now has sponsors

Fred proudly glues the red square that identifies him as a real B Optimist racer

a little teaking here and there

sometimes a lot of rain too..

coach gives last minute instruction to the gang..

this bellow..I don't really know what it is...must be some kind of new "race ritual"...they were doing it for 5 minutes..no one actually understood what that was...and further questioning provided no positive answer either..but hey these are 11 and 12 year old kids..so we're not quite there yet...

getting ready to go

a lot..and I mean a lot of small boats everywhere..

damn rudder's are hard to insert...damn cold water too...brrrrr

there..off we go...

several race shots...

Parabens filho!!! estou muito contente e a mama tambem!!

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Way to Go Fred!!!!!!!

Recovering from setbacks is probably the most important skill to learn!

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
I think we as a group should sponsor him too!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
GUU—

Very cool. My aunt used to be a bigwig at a little company in Dearborn, MI... and I'd love to get a bigger copy of this one for her. E-mail me a full-resolution version if you would. :)

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Great pics G- ! Thanks for posting them.

·
never convicted
482 Posts
goodonya, Fred!

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I guess the AFOC sponsorship decal ended up on the bilge? Thank goodness it's an Opti or we might have ended up sponsoring to Lavac head discharge! (g)

Go Optimania!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Congratulations Fred!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts