SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fair condition?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Skipper Jer 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
"Fair condition" is what the surveyor says about your lovingly maintained, upgraded, cared-for boat despite all the love and money you've bestowed upon her.... :rolleyes:

#4 ·
It probably also means it was owned by a "knowledgeable owner".

I've always loved that one and wondered if that is why the boat is for sale :D

But is this case I would expect it to mean the boat looks as one expects for a 1972 model

#5 ·
Mint.
Excellent.
Very Good.
Good.
Fair.
Poor.

That's about 6 classes of condition for anything from stamps to race cars, and "fair" means one step above a gaping hole in the ocean. It means worse than average, but not yet trashed.

Of course, most sellers are rather over optimistic about stating condition.

And some parts for the Vega, like the unique integrated starter/alternator, are no longer made and may be impossible to rebuild or replace, meaning a whole new engine may be needed. But, they've earned a place in history and if the project seems worth your time and budget....

#13 ·
I think it depends on your outlook. The sellers fair is likely the buyers poor. In fact most seller's fair is well jus a few things before it will float!
Exactly. In an advertisement like this "fair condition" means whatever the seller wants it to mean. A reasonable and honest seller will give you an accurate assessment of the boat's condition. But we all know that not all sellers are reasonable and honest. A whole lot of them will say their boat is in "fair condition" when the truth is that it a complete pile of junk that no one in their right mind would even untie from the dock, let alone take out into open water.

Caveat emptor!

#8 ·
Yea, here is one that is in good shape for $8,000 though it has an outboard but I have seen other pictures (I don't know if it is still available but the old ad had photos of the work in progress an it looked really good)

1977 Albin Vega sailboat for sale in New York

It is hard to tell from either ones photos if they are worth the money. But hey the one you are looking at includes all sails and rigging, not every boat includes rigging! But if that is the best they can say about it???
But

#12 ·
What does that mean exactly?

In relation to this.

1979 albin albin vega sailboat for sale in North Carolina

I think I know what "project boat means"

]Search Sailboats for Sale
there was a boat velocir an albin vega that was basically redone completely and taken to the Bahamas (essentially) what I plan to do...)

https://www.youtube.com/user/svvelocir

and what about....

Albin Vega 27 sailboats for sale. Fine small yachts to take you anywhere

thoughts?
it means you will have to look at it to know. words like 'fair' or 'project' can mean very different things to different people. it could be anything from pretty good to pretty bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.