SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SailAway
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living and sailing up here in Maine I have been very unhappy with the weather so far this "summer". I know its still early but we have been getting A LOT of rain. It has made me wonder.

At what point (weather conditions) do you decide not to go out? Sunny only, a drizzle is fine or even in a downpour? Forecast is for 15-20 knots with gusts to 25 or more or only when the forecast is for 10-15. What if there is a chance of showers?

I'm not talking about when you are out sailing and the weather changes, do you go in or not. I am asking how bad does the weather have to be before you decide not leave leave a warm, dry house to go sailing. Is the threshhold different for when you have crew or singlehand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,647 Posts
If we stayed in everytime I hear "Chance of Showers" we would miss a whole lot of sailing. I will even push it sometimes in a "Chance of Thunderstorms". About the only thing that keeps me tied up is High Seas. In my area we get a differnt set of waves known as the Great Lakes Chop. When they get up around 6 feet and over its not a fun ride.
You have to become your own forecaster, take a look at the radar before departing and look at the current sky conditions, than make your decisions.
I don't mind sailing in high winds, but again, in my area that usually means nasty seas; big, no break in between and very steep. What I don't like is docking and leaving the slip in high winds.
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
992 Posts
I think that sailing in rain is fine... that's what they make foul weather gear for. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Waves and Wind more the factor

If it's a light rain and the wind is good (up to 20 kts) and the seas are light <4 ft, I will go out, if not on my boat, as crew on someone else's.

Once the winds pipe up and/or the waves get significant (in the presence of rain), it's time to rethink the choice. Also a predicted steady, long rain its not a "Go Out Day" either.

DrB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
We had all that wet stuff here on the west coast for far too long, nice to see it move to the east coast, hope it never returns.
I hate sailing in the rain then returning to put everything away wet. If it is raining I won't go because I am a fair weather sailor and I also refuse to hoist the sails for any wind under 5 knots.
We get enough non-rainy days to fulfill my needs, as long as it is not cold or rainy I go out, if it is raining I won't leave the house, if it is cold I won't leave the dock.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
19,485 Posts
We used to sail in all kinds of ridiculous weather... now older (and wiser:confused: ) we tend to pick our days. But once out cruising as we do each "summer" for 5-8 weeks, you get what you get. With the luxury of time we can wait out the real bad crap, but on the other hand in summer, some of the best sailing is when a system blows through.

Warm and wet is OK.. cold and wet no so much anymore these days.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,506 Posts
Hi,

Good post.

For me personally, it depends if I plan on day sailing, or if I have a definite destination.

For a day sail with my family, any rain harder than a sprinkle and we won't go. And, if the wind is going to be 20+ we won't go. If it's just me, I'll go out in a steady rain but not a real hard rain. And I don't mind wind up to 25 kts, more than that and I'll stay home.

For a cruise type destination, not much holds me back. Wind higher than 25 kts would, as would downpours, but that's about it.

That being said, wish me luck because on Sunday I leave a for a 4-5 day trip from my home port to NYC and back again.

Barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
Well

I got out Tuesday night with the daughter for two hours of sailing in PERFECT conditions (somehow there was no rain for two hours :( )

I raced on Wednesday and it looked bad but we stayed dry and sailed a good race ;)


I got out Friday night with the wife for two hours BUT the bugs were so BAD we wished it was raining :eek:


We did a training race on Sunday morning (fathers day) for a normal leave the dock at 9 back at 12

Everybody at home said you want to go out in that :confused:

Perfect sail again :laugher

So somehow in the worst freaking weather i can remember we had 4 good sails this week by taking are chances ;) and going sailing
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,819 Posts
At what point (weather conditions) do you decide not to go out? Sunny only, a drizzle is fine or even in a downpour? Forecast is for 15-20 knots with gusts to 25 or more or only when the forecast is for 10-15. What if there is a chance of showers?
Sailed Mon, Tuesday (was nice), raced Wed. We then left Friday for the weekend and got back Sunday night. This weekend we had the entire bay to ourselves. Anchored at Jewell with no other boats. Anchored at Chebeague Island with no other visiting boats and spent the night at the Goslings with only one other crew. I like it rainy and fogy sometimes as it gets quite peaceful. The only boats we saw for the most part were lobsterman. For off shore sustained 30+ keeps the wife at home but I'm a glutton. In the bay she does not mind 25-30..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,231 Posts
When I was a kid I worked construction. The rule was you went to work every day regardless of the weather. You dressed appropriately and started work at 8:00 AM. Most of the time you got in a full day. Once in a while you had to pack it in.
I pretty much do the same thing sailing.
If I want to go I go. Get to the boat motor out to the breakwater and see what it is really like. 90% or more it is OK to go. Once in a while we go back.
If we stayed home and checked the weather and read the report we would probably never go.

There are about 1,000 slips at our marina and sometimes it looks like we are the only ones out. Again we almost always have a great sail.
I'm pretty new at this so I expect I'll mellow in a year or two but that's what we do now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
Cliff notes of last 3 attempts at overnight trips this season.

This past weekend - 20% Chance of pop up TS, strong storms forecast to remain north of our sailing area. Left dock in route to anchorage, begin overhearing members of our yacht club returning home from a northern cruise getting slammed. The forecast was not holding and the strong storms are sliding further south than predicted. Decide to "Chicken out" and make it a day sail since its nice where I am. Sail around for a couple of hours, then notice rapidly darkening skies. Quickly drop sails and motor for home, but the pop up TS beats us to the mark. Opt for sea room vs. trying to enter our narroe shallow creek with 100 yard vis and 25+ knot gusts. Turn and slowly motor toward the lightest quadrant of the storm while being pelted with bucket sized drops and lightning cracks 360 degrees around us, far too close for comfort. 30 minutes later, its all over and the sun is shining as we head back for home. Another set of stronger storms blows through around 6PM and Sunday AM its blowing close to a gale on the bay. "Chickening out", proved to be the correct call.

Two weeks prior to that the Admiral and I had anchored out with no mention of any worrisome weather in the forecast. However, I awoke to the boat rocking and tugging at her anchor. I got my coffee and went to the cockpit to check the instruments. WTF? 20+ knots in the anchorage, what is the bay going to be like? That was not part of the forecast! We had a quick breakfast and headed home motor sailing under just the main making good time and a fairly settled ride due to the steadying effect of the main. Enroute we overheard some other boats from our marina that had anchored nearby, that got an earlier start saying winds on the bay were in excess of 30kts. Oh crap, Oh boy, this is gonna be fun, I'm thinking. However as soon as we exited the river we were anchored in, the wind died to nothing - zero - but the 3-4' chop remained. Now the ride was fairly miserable with the main slapping around as the boat hobby horsed. It would be too rough to take down the sail until we turned up the Rappahannock, so we motored on towards home. Then the rain came -- no % in the forecast, but we donned full foulies and endured about 2 hours motoring in a steady downpour. Of course the skies cleared and the winds came up and the day was beautiful just as we passed the number 1 mark home bound. We passed a bunch of outbound boats as we were entering our home creek. I guess they thought we were idiots wearing full foulies with sails dropped and hurriedly tied, when the day was so perfect.

Two weeks prior to that we had a great day of sailing in steady 12-15 knots intending only to day sail but putting over 25 KM's under the keel ending up close to a favorite anchorage so we decided to just make a night of it and stay on the hook. We got all snugged in and had dinner then I checked the nextrad radar on the XM weather capable GPS and it looked like a giant red and yellow monster was coming to attack us. We pondered about 2 mintues before deciding the risk of motoring home in the dark was far outweighed by the risk of being at anchor when this front arrived. So as dusk settled we hauled anchor and hauled butt, motoring home arriving about 11:30 PM beating the weather to our berth by about 2 hours. We were rocked pretty good and I was glad to be secure sleeping soundly in the slip vs. swinging at anchor sitting up all night worrying about dragging.

Its been a fun but challenging season thus far and we've both learned a lot. We plan to keep trying, and pushing our limits!!!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top