SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep an eye on the weather. Just west of Anderson Island we had a water spout and some severe weather come up very fast for our area. We were sailing home heading north just past Anderson and McNeil Islands today around noon.
Looked behind us and said "sure looks dark behind us", sure enough. Soon a fast south wind took us to the Tacoma Narrows bridge, with tide ebbing, we thought we were flying.

Just mentioning please watch the weather fronts.

Attachments

·
19,485 Posts
Indeed...

The flip side of that is we were headed to the boat this morning for a weekend jaunt in a heavy solid grey downpour, no wind to speak of, no bimini or enclosure. The forecast at the time was for solid rain until Midnight. Not relishing a 16-18 NM motor in the rain we decided to pull the plug at the last minute and headed home.

By noon the skies cleared and it's been a wonderful day but we'd cancelled our slip reservation. Hoping Monday is as bad as forecast because we've spent all day today shaking our heads.

Things change quickly around here. Our consolation will be Thanksgiving dinner with our granddaughter after all....

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I just finished putting in a mainline for an out door sprinkler. Looked west to the olympics. Looked dark! Now have thunder/lightning and BIG rain drops. I guess I finished that part of the project on time. Thought about putting the last of the fuel lines on the motor.....came home.

Now we hail outside as I am typing. I can even hear it. I'm 70-80% deaf!

Marty

·
Registered
712 Posts
You know the old saying around here; "if you don't like what you see, just wait ten minutes... it will be different". :D No really, those of us who live here, know we live in one of the worst places in the US for weather prediction and certainty.

I miss the days living in Florida where you just knew it was probably going to be sunny with an afternoon T shower.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Crazy hard rain yesterday driving from Bellevue to Kirkland around 6 Pm

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
David,

That would be about the same time or a bit later than it hit here in Edmonds. According to NOAA the storm that hit me was traveling SE at 20-25 mph. Very well could have been the same squall that hit me in the 5-5:30 range.

Marty

·
Registered
9,376 Posts

·
19,485 Posts
Yes, I'd say our extended summer has just said "see ya"....

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It was a great summer...

Capped it off with a whale diving 30 feet off the boat weekend before last..

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
This looks unnerving.

Northeast Pacific WX Briefing Package

The long range Environment Canada forecast is for gales and storms. It looks like the fit is about to hit the shan.

Pacific - South Coast - Marine Weather - Environment Canada

My 8 day grib file forecast concurs.
I was wondering where our fall gales were. They usually show up before now...

I have a question. Is a waterspout the same as a tornado, just under a different name? I have the impression that they look like tornadoes but aren't as deadly. I know a hurricane is a cyclone in another hemisphere and it's just as deadly. Is it the same with tornadoes and waterspouts?

Tornadoes have "F" ratings, presumably so you know just how "F'ed" you are. Will a waterspout pick up your boat and fly you to the land of Oz?

MedSailor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts