SailNet Community banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
@JimsCAL any thoughts on the best way to take advantage of the cove? Maybe lean more toward a 22 or catboat?

If 22 still have option to take a long daysail to sound here and there I guess

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It's a LONG haul from Hamburg Cove to the Sound. Don't think I'd want to do that round trip every time I went for a sail. With a smaller boat sailing on the river is an option.
I never understood the popularity of the Cove and Essex with larger sailboats; downtown Essex is really cool and the marina is very nice, but what a haul to the Sound from there. I figured it had to be at least an hour under power to get to the mouth of the river from Essex. I agree that you can sail on the river, especially with a smaller boat; but that seems to me to be a very limiting option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
@mstern the proximity of Hamburg cove to my house is what got me thinking along the lines of buying a sailboat.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to take advantage. Assuming 1.5 hours pilot to the sound from the cove, I wonder if a smaller boat most frequently used in the river with 2-3 people but capable of a day out to the sound rarely is best = Capri or Catalina 22 with decent outboard

·
Registered
84 Posts
View attachment 139810
^^ is a “Capri 22” the same as a Catalina Capri 22?
Is this a reasonable advertisement that it takes 8 people comfortably?
Usually it seems the rental places are conservative in their capacity limits.
The claim is reasonable. You could seat 8 reasonably-sized adults aboard. The issue could be the "choreography" of folks when you tack, to get the heel angle you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@mstern the proximity of Hamburg cove to my house is what got me thinking along the lines of buying a sailboat.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to take advantage. Assuming 1.5 hours pilot to the sound from the cove, I wonder if a smaller boat most frequently used in the river with 2-3 people but capable of a day out to the sound rarely is best = Capri or Catalina 22 with decent outboard
If you want to sail, IMHO you would be much better off keeping your boat near the mouth of the river. Sailing in the river is kind of constricted, and you have to deal with all of the yahoos in powerboats in that narrow area. And getting downriver in a small boat with an outboard will be quite the to-do. Sailing in the Sound is quite beautiful, and you have so many destinations relatively close at hand. The river; not so much.

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
getting downriver in a small boat with an outboard will be quite the to-do.
Fully agree. Isn’t it only a 15 min or so drive to the coast from there? I would not pin myself down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
@mstern @Minnewaska it looks like old Saybrook may be an option (and have more slip availability)
Hamburg cove is a really awesome place but yeah maybe it’s not the best option to be slipped at

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Compac Horizon Day Cat. Cockpit is over 10 ft 10ng with more than an 8 ft beam. Highly trailerable and still has a head below and Ice box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
@Arcb that looks awesome
I’ve been looking more along those lines
The Herreshoff 12 1/2 looks great (although less passenger capacity)
There is an Arey pond 18’ open cockpit daysailer
It’s too expensive but it’s cool seeing it with the electric inboard fitted

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The com pac legacy sport sloop also looks really nice
That's a nice looking boat with a big cockpit. I do suggest you sail a Compac before you buy one. Well made and easy to trailer to be sure, but those stub keels have some disadvantages. The only Compac I sailed on was years ago, but I remember the boat was somewhat tender. And to put it charitably, it was not a close-winded boat. We made lots of leeway, and I was glad that we weren't trying to get anywhere in particular upwind. The boat just couldn't point well. Like I said, it was many years ago, but I remember my disappointment as I loved the looks and quality of the boat. Just wasn't impressed with the sailability.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Compacs Cat boats are centreboard + stub keel. Horizon Cat has a 5 ft draft board down. In my experience Cat boats make up some for their wider tacking angles when short tacking with their ease of sailing, especially with passengers on board- just push the tiller over, no messing around with the jib, no jib winches in the way.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Compacs Cat boats are centreboard + stub keel. Horizon Cat has a 5 ft draft board down. In my experience Cat boats make up some for their wider tacking angles when short tacking with their ease of sailing, especially with passengers on board- just push the tiller over, no messing around with the jib, no jib winches in the way.
Thanks for the info. I didn't see that this boat had a centerboard. That ought to make things better. The Compac I was on (a 23?) many years ago certainly didn't have one; it sure could have used it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on a Nonsuch 26C or 30?

So far I’ve found mooring closer to LIS in Old Lyme but it still looks like a good deal of piloting to get out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Nice, spacious, user freindly boats. They tend to be expensive. But they are good boats for a lot of people. We have a buddy with a 26 in Eastern Lake Ontario and the 1000 islands and the boat does well sailing around there.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
You could also look for a Naiad 18. Big open keelboat day sailers with the same wishbone style Cat Rig as nonsuch's. Would probably be more practical as a day sailor, and trailerable. Maybe big enough for your whole family.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
@Arcb thanks
There is a nice 26C locally for about $20K and a 30 for a little more

That Naiad looks cool too - I’m going to look into it

61 - 77 of 77 Posts