SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the Presidents budget includes the end of Loran C.

Saves about $200M over five years.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
We knew it was going to happen sooner or later.. :)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
As I was saying in the Trivia thread... ;)

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I would suspect that with all of Obama's crash team experts, whoever cut that one is not a mariner.

Bear in mind this is not the first time LORAN-C has been scheduled to die by beancounters who had no idea what it was. Both times in the past, the budget was restored after massive public comments about "the prudent mariner does not rely on any one means of navigation" and the explanation that "redundant" does not mean "unneeded" in this context.

I've no longer got a dog in the fight (sold off the LORAN) but suggest that those who still have one and want to keep it, start sending out letters. Once again.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Readily available birth control was going to cut the pregnancy rate, too!

Those Loran jobs are government and union jobs. Prediction: Loran C is still operating five years from now and e-Loran is on line as well. It's technology, dontcha know? It'll get subsidized. Heck ,we're gonna have a Loran glut.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Dunno, I think it will come down to Reagonomics. That is, the value of one death is roughly $3.2 million. That's the number the FAA has ascertained and used to determine airline casualties versus forced fixes.

So, if the LORAN-C budget is $200 million for five years, the question is whether the fed can save $40m per year by shutting it down, or whether the losses (deaths, environmental spills, etc.) will exceed that figure. Unless you can show that ten people will die every year for the next five years, or that oil tankers will be using LORAN-C (G)...the pure economics of it say to shut it down.

Which may or may not be a mistake, depending on how you do the math, and value the damages.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Hellosailor said:
"the prudent mariner does not rely on any one means of navigation"
I use GPS and my back up is leaving a trail of bread crumbs. Or if I'm on the ICW, I mark the bottom with my keel.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Maybe if GM and Chrysler started putting Loran inplace of GPS for their cars,
the government could ressurect Lehman Brothers with a huge Bailout so they could finance the car makers right out of Bancruptcy. It would be a match made in heaven and Loran would fit perfectly with their model for the future.

Loran just needs to die and go away. I realize of course that its death will bring about the end of the squirrel powered navigation devices, but we have enough squirrels on Wallstreet and in the banks who are looking for a free nut to compensate.

- CD

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
...never figured out how to use one, eh, Dad?

I'm not the biggest Loran fan in the world, and mind you I started out with a Loran 'A' set which had a CRT in which you aligned the signals or leading edges of the Loran waves, but I am struck be the amount of criticism of a system that now does essentially the same thing a GPS does, and it does it within a region the critics have never left, nearby coastal.

Send me your next criticism from the Andaman Islands.....

·
Registered
995 Posts
...never figured out how to use one, eh, Dad?

I'm not the biggest Loran fan in the world, and mind you I started out with a Loran 'A' set which had a CRT in which you aligned the signals or leading edges of the Loran waves, but I am struck be the amount of criticism of a system that now does essentially the same thing a GPS does, and it does it within a region the critics have never left, nearby coastal.

Send me your next criticism from the Andaman Islands.....
Pfft. This coming from a guy that still uses a slide ruler to keep from having to count on his fingers and toes.

SWAY.... COME OUT OF THE 19TH CENTURY!!

- CD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts