SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just applied a 1/8" Hayn Hi-Mod Toggle to my SJ21's backstay, and that is one schweet piece of engineering. But: the wire itself is odd diameter -- 1x19 SS, a tad thicker than 1/8" but nowhere near 5/32". A cheap shop caliper puts it at 0.132", pretty consistent along its length. Just normal variation in manufacture?

I had to slightly ream out the crown washer's center to slip it over the core. Not likely to cause trouble, is it? I pull tested it using a 4:1 vang and all the oomph I could give it: it nearly dragged the minivan across the yard. How do you get over feeling nervous about this kind of thing?:confused:

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Could it be metric?? That's pretty big variation for manufacturing error.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SD: That's what I wondered -- but it would be 3.5 mm. Patently bigger than the 1/8" wire on our Buccaneer, but nowhere close to 5/32" or any other wire size I've seen listed. Probably original to the boat, F.O.B. Seattle 1973. Each stay and shroud is this size. Ever hear of 9/64ths 1x19? Me neither. All official & unofficial SJ21 literature describes the standing rigging as 1/8" diameter. But it's just that much fatter. Weird.

·
Sparrow Girl
17 Posts
Old Thread but I wanted to reply as I had the same problem with my Hi-Mod fittings for 1/8" wire.

I contacted Hayn Marine, the US distributor for Hi-Mod fittings to ask about this.

What I learned is that the Hi-Mod Fittings are designed for metric wire not fractional inch sizes. For sizes larger than 1/8"(3mm) this is not much of a problem. But for the 1/8" (3mm) size the relative difference in diameter 0.007" (-5%) is significant enough to cause a problem. What I also learned from them was that as long as you have 3 full turns of threads engaged, the system should work fine.

Also, the fork-end piece I received was machined for and came with a 6mm, not a 1/4", clevis pin. The eye-end fitting was designed for 1/4" clevis pins.

Finally, I learned along the way that the original wire on my boat (a Sparrow 16 from 1978) was slightly oversize compared to 1/8" wire which made installing the fitting impossible.

I hope this post is useful to others who might find it.

Christine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts