SailNet Community banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Sailor
845 Posts
Leatherman and multimeter followed by duct tape and zap straps. My boat doesn't sail without that stuff on board.

Gaz

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Sure having and using the correct tool is the thing to do but I think Visegrips are one of the best tools ever invented and I think it would be foolish to venture off without a few sizes of them - just in case .... for whatever - They Work - when sometimes nothing else will.
An example would be when you have to unbolt a piece of deck gear and there's no helper in sight: you can use vise grips to keep the underdeck nut from moving and can unbolt from above.

·
purveyor of mischief
533 Posts
don't know about ya'll
mine is a bottle opener..for my Bass Ale..
good rule of thumb..if it can't be fixed w/ either a six pack or a roll of duct tape..it ain't worth fixin'
(please keep the 'drinking and sailing' diatribe to yourselves..i'm irish and that's what we do..

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
Ah what the heck

If were draggin this old thred up again ...heres mine..

Attachments

Reactions: lharmon

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is a wonderful tool. It will act like a beefy nutdriver and a ratchet by rotating 90 degrees as shown. This is a standard version with sockets from 1/4" to 9/16". I have a meteric one as well. Switching sockets in my bosun's chair was not the best in a chop, but it was easier than taking a lot of tools aloft. I also love my propane soldering iron and leatherman.

The ratchets are by NEBCO and cost about $20. They are not stainless so they will rust. The one shown is 3 years old - but freshwater.

Attachments

·
purveyor of mischief
533 Posts
While we're on the subject of drinking tools how about this one! It's my CAN CRUSHER and it really minimizes my trash volume on board.

Sorry for the picture resolution, I really had to crop in on this one, but it's the brown mechanism mounted to the left of the companionway.

CRUSHA (yes our can crusher has a name) is the bomb !!

dayum...
first thing i saw was the EPIRB, and thought "sheesh why would he smack down a can with that?..hmm..maybe he is being esoteric about the necessity for an epirb"..
sometimes i'm such a dumbass:rolleyes:
i only use bottled beer, so i only have to contend w/ an opener..

81 - 88 of 88 Posts