SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi iPad People,

I picked up a 4th gen iPad this past weekend and got iNAVX loaded :). Love it, can't wait to see it in action.

What cover do you have for your boat use, pros and cons of it?

Dave

·
Administrator
7,547 Posts
I use Glad Wrap on the screen. Pros: Its rather cheap. Cons: Some people think I am rather cheap.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the Lifeproof case for my iPhone but did not like the company's case for the ipad. I got the Otterbox instead and think it provides much better impact protection. That's ok for me because my ipad is used to store PDFs of equipment manuals, route planning, and connecting to the internet. So I don't have it out in the weather. If you do want or need a waterproof case then I'd go with the Lifeproof.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the Otter Box. It is not water proof, but resistant if splashed. I think it's plus is that it provides an out cushion against dropping or sliding across deck. I have nothing to compare it to though. :confused:

·
Large Member
299 Posts
I use one of those thick zip lock type bags that are made for them. It works fine, wasn't too expensive ($20?) No protection from dropping it though.

I mostly keep it out of the bag tho unless there's weather.

However, I did drop my ipad a year or so ago, cracked the screen and dented it, it works fine (well,it works ok) except for the glass splinters I get occasionally and a glitch or two. Keep thinking (hoping) I'll "accidentally" drop it again and will have to replace it. It seems to be immune from that now for some reason....?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I second the Otterbox case. I tried the Lifeproof but didn't think it offered enough protection from the rough handling on the boat. I returned it and got the Otterbox. I'm more worried about it sliding off the bench onto the sole than getting wet. If needed I just put it in the companionway and use my old garmin GPS.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We used a ziplock on our tablet and it worked fine. I have a Lifeproof on my iPad. It's much safer from being dropped, etc. I'd suggest a lifeproof it you want to invest the money.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have used both and they are both good.

The lifeproof is pricey but is fully (ie. immersible) waterproof but mine was not incredibly durable, only was waterproof for maybe 4 months before parts started going bad. The ports can get worn out and you can only use apple accessories since third party cables, headphones, etc. don't fit the ports.

The otterbox is good protection, no real complaints but nothing fancy.

But my favorite is the one I have for my son's tablet. My son has down syndrome and autism and is prone to fits and is generally hard on stuff (why I got the lifeproof for my iphone, toilets and iphones don't mix). I got him a gumdrop case. The custom ones are no more than the standard ones.

Gumdrop Cases - Custom Drop Tech Case for iPad 2, 3, 4 - Custom Series - Collection

I like the fact that you can get it in colors, not just Henry Ford Black. It has the same basic build as the otterbox, a hard plastic frame surrounded by a rubber outer layer, but the outer layer is thicker and much more textured so gives it a better grip and a little more protection. It has rubber flaps over the ports which provide easy access and accommodate third party cables and such. With the ports closed I would call it splash proof and wouldn't hesitate having it on the boat. It's also a good price at $60.

Really the ultimate is the lifeproof with the floating lifjacket wrap around but you are talking $117 for the case (on sale) and $45 for the lifejacket, but you could then use your ipad for man overboard drills! I'd rather buy a $60 case and put the rest of the money towards a spare refurbished ipad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts