SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of Books related to sailing, list movies you've seen or know about.

I can recall seeing:

White Squall
Mutiny on the Bounty
Master and Commander
I missed Morning Light - waiting for DVD.

With sailing in the movie, but not about sailing:

No Way Out - they rented what I took to be a Newport 27 or 30 in the Chesapeake.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Thomas Crown Affair (w/Pierce Brosnan).

Had a great scene of huge racing cats...and one going over.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Dead Calm
Capt. Ron
Waterworld (great sailing, bad movie)

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL yea, I forgot about those. hahaha @ Cap'n Ron.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Anybody ever notice, in Master and Commander, after Jack orders the ship to sail due south, and the scene changes to show the Surprise with snow and ice on her, the camera pans around the bow to port, and there is some poor bastard crapping in the head? I LOVE that detail!! Who thought of doing that? What a riot!

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody ever notice, in Master and Commander, after Jack orders the ship to sail due south, and the scene changes to show the Surprise with snow and ice on her, the camera pans around the bow to port, and there is some poor bastard crapping in the head? I LOVE that detail!! Who thought of doing that? What a riot!
Yea, I did notice that and to think we have it "rough" LOL

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
There's also the well done A&E Hornblower series. Available through Netflix.

·
19,489 Posts
My least favourite sailing 'scene' is the knockdown in "White Squall" - clearly done in a pool.... and there's a lot of inconsistency/continuity issues in "Dead Calm" too.

Despite a pretty lame story line, the final race scenes in the movie "Wind" are actually pretty well done (with retired 12Meters).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts