SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow cruisers,

I'm thinking of cruising the Great Lakes this spring/summer, starting in Chicago and making my way east towards Buffalo.
I'm wondering if this is feasible to do in a ON/OFF method, meaning, cruise for 2-3 weeks, anchor/store the boat for 2-3 weeks so I can return home, then return to the boat, and repeat the cycle.
Starting in Chicago, I'd expect my first ON phase to get me to somewhere around Detroit. So here's my question - do you have suggestions where to leave/dock/anchor the boat for three weeks in the Detroit area? Keeping the boat on a dock in a marina for three weeks while I'm away would be a huge waste of money. Are there places where one can anchor or hang on a can for a reasonable fee?
Next ON phase should hopefully get me to Buffalo, and there the same question arises. Anybody familiar with the area and aware of anchorages/places to keep a boat safe for three weeks?
I'll have my dinghy with me, so anchoring out/on a can is technically feasible and I actually prefer it over being on a dock.

Any tips or comments appreciated!
Stephan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for your reply. I will possibly stick to the Canadian side of Lake Huron on my second leg, if there are enough intermediate stops to anchor/dock for the night. I'm single handing and usually will want to stop for the night. Did you write a log/blog of your cruise? I would enjoy seeing the distances between ports etc.
Thanks for the tip to look at Active Captain, I'll go there next.
If dockage in a more remote area is much cheaper I'd try to get past Detroit and keep the boat at such a place for the break, even though that will add complications to my journey home.
For reference, transient dockage here in my home harbor in Chicago is $1 per foot per night on a can, and $2.1 per foot per night on a dock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

your tip about Active Captain was worth the price of admission - I can't believe I didn't know this before... There are many dozens of places to choose from in Detroit alone, and their transient rates don't seem astronomical.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, many thanks for your anchorage tips, this sounds great and with Active Captain I was able to follow along where you went. Planning a trip is half the fun, and you gave me plenty pointers.
I went up to the North Channel a few years ago, and cruised between Thessalon and The Benjamin Islands, and enjoyed that a lot. I'm temped to go through there and Georgian Bay, but I'd need more time. I wish I could take a few months off...
I'm actually German, a permanent resident of the US though, and will surely benefit from the current good (for me) exchange rates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.